Is ABS laser-friendly?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49a9061e0>

I want to cut a hole in a small ABS plastic electronics project box, like these:

Is this material suitable for laser cutting?

Extra question for you laser experts: I only want to cut the hole in ONE side of the box; can I fill the box with some sacrificial material known to be laser safe (i.e. laser play offcuts) and set the power/timing of the cut so that it does not cut all the way through to the other side of the box?

Using the Isel CNC for that could possibly be a better alternative.

Or 3D print your own.

1 Like

ABS is not your friend, it will wrap under heat and curl and melt at that temperatures, 3D printers knows that, also there is a mild health risk

1 Like

We have never tested it on the cnc for possible risks for the machine or health

Potential risk is from ABS melting or burning. There can be mild health issues from fumes and melted ABS on an endmill is yucky (acetone will clean it though). With ABS it’s essential to have correct feeds and speeds so the material cuts cleanly without melting and those risks arising. Feeds need to be quite fast as well as speeds. The ABS used for enclosures is better than the 3d printed ABS. Drilling holes in those is very usual. Using a standard drill is another alternative of course.

All good input, I’ll take that as a no. But thanks to your responses, the solution is a replica lid in laser-happy perspex.