Interested in some donations?

Hi, I visited your Makerspace early on the December 2016 open day for a look round and had a chat with a chap making an Arduino-played guitar.

I’ve emailed the directors with this message a week ago and had no response so far so thought I’d try here.

I’m in the lucky position of retiring soon. Nothing special there, except I’m a teacher of Design Technology & Electronics A level and the school where I work is dropping Electronics A level as a subject. Although most of the lab stuff is being absorbed by the Physics department, there remains the following which I have permission to offer to worthy organisations.
A large number of prototype breadboards, some small A5-ish size, others A3 (made up of 2 side by side) sized.
15-0-15 100mA split rail power supplies.
Plastic drawers well stocked with the TTL family of logic chips and various components.
5 volt 1 amp ‘phone charger’ power supplies.
Plastic compartmented storage boxes with hinged lids.
Nearly A3 sized UV exposure box.
Possibility of a 2 tank PCB etch tank with clear etchant and developer chemicals.
And other stuff yet to be unearthed…

Would any/all of this be of interest to the group?

It’s all FREE, delivered at a time to suit you in the next month or so?

Just let me know and I’ll start creating a ‘pile’.

I’ll also be joining the Makerspace in the near future as I’ll lose access to the workshops and laser cutter/3-D printer at the end of August this year.

Kind regards

Gareth

Hello Gareth!

I’m sorry to ear that, the @directors contacted us about your offer but sadly sometime mixing life and an huge , dynamic and time consuming association like the SLMS is not an easy task, thank you to come back to us :slight_smile:

Sad to hear that!

We got some but if this are a good quality ones , we will be happy to get them , ideally we can re-distribute them between the various association we know (Rasperry PI Jam, London Hack Space)

I’m honestly trying to figure out what kind of power supply we are talking about , I guess are for the breadboards?

if they are labelled and organised we would love them! :smiley:

Happy to take these as well :slight_smile:

I don’t remember if we have one of this, @electrotechs ? @joeatkin2?

I don’t think we can keep this kind of chemicals in the space safetly at the moment :confused:

I hope you would like to join the electronics night every thursday as well ! :slight_smile:

Not neccesarily. What are the hazards? We have a COSHH cabinet in the snug.

Well, can melt copper…I guess skin and squishy human parts are not ok with that…

Depends of the composition, from irritant to corrosive , possibly fire hazard .

If it’s used in schools we can probably cope.

1 Like

Appreciate that its all volunteers, I’ve been hellishly busy all my life so no problem, I just need to get things moving :wink:

The etchant is sodium persulphate, so much nicer than ferric chloride. We use (well, used it) in school without issues, unless the H&S police haven’t noticed it. In 7 x 1Kg sealed plastic containers. That’s enough for a lot of etching. I have some board and film too, plus a great collection of PCBs that will never get used here :frowning: that I designed for Picaxe control purposes). I’m sure they would find good homes.

Yes, I’ll be happy to pop along on Thursday evening(s) (I have 40+ years of electronics and radio behind me), I can bring a sample breadboard. The split rail PSU supplies +15, 0 (ground) and -15. Used for op-amps usually.

Gareth

1 Like

If it’s decided that the makerspace doesn’t want the uv box - I think London hackspace would love it - we have a large bubble etch station but our current uv box is small and thus really limits the size of boards we can make.

Cheers
Calum

Well, I’m sure if is safe for kids should be ok for us then :smile:

surely we need these chemicals anyway to make pcb’s

1 Like

I’d exercise some degree of caution about bringing more chemicals into the space. We have a COSHH cupboard full of developer and ferric chloride that I understand no-one has used. It also doesn’t smell great in there either, which leads me to worry it isn’t exactly the safest place in the world for more stuff…

Also the point of a COSHH Cupboard is to store chemicals we have COSHH RAs for I’ve never seen any mention of doing COSHH RA.

Yes. As has been discussed before, a system for managing and maintaining said RAs probably needs to be produced.

I’ve asked Sevron for pricing.

@radiogareth , I was wondering if you were still waiting for us for any confirmation…

No, not required thanks. I’m still seeking out ‘best fit’ options at the moment, plus loaded up with decorating tasks that always take longer than planned…

1 Like