I'm building a dust sensor for the wood workshop

Talking with @joeatkin2 and @lewisss came out that a dust sensor in the wood workshop would be a great way to turn off the Noisy Fan when is not needed, recently I found a dust sensor (Sharp GP2Y1010AU0F) that can sense between 0 and 0.8 mg/m3 .

The idea is to have an LED matrix to display the readings , a relay to turn on and of the fan and would be good to have wifi to upload the readings.

The question is:

Do we have any kind of favourite gateway to upload the reading? like an official thingspeak channel?

We already have some stuff on thingspeak, but no official channel as such. No need for one is there, so long as it’s linked from here?

Sorry, my english is failing me there :confused:

No need for an “official” thingspeak channel is what I mean

1 Like

Have a chat with @courty.

Increasingly it would be good to have a place for this data, this is something @jonathanjo has previously identified.

This would be a great idea. It would also be worth seeing if we can track if the air quality drops below acceptable levels: having clean filters in the box makes a massive difference, and I guess it would be helpful to track when they need changing.

3 Likes

I have a load of stuff in ThingSpeak / MLab, including the SLMS Environment sensors in the Clean and Messy areas, happy to walk you through it.

Clean Area - https://thingspeak.com/channels/197562
Messy Area - https://thingspeak.com/channels/203323

I also have a sharp dust sensor somewhere - I planned to do something similar for my workshop but its just on an ever increasing To Do list. will see if I can dig it out.

Courty

1 Like

I already bought the sensor :wink:

no problem, i’ll just steal your design then :smile:

Courty

1 Like

LOL at the increase in temp/humidity during members evening:

Its great that so much Awesome in one arch is detectable :blush:

Courty

Ah ‘the temperature in the room’!

Is there an elephant sensor on the market?

2 Likes

Something something load of hot air…

2 Likes

It’s on the ducting. …

Or the trunking

(god forgive me)

3 Likes

You could always make a new filter box with bigger filters.

I think the system we have is just about keeping up with the load - once we complete whatever plan is proposed to capture the fines at source (at the extractor) by boxing it in or whatever I’m sure it will be great.

Moving it to the back in a plasterbord box

1 Like

We need a bike shedding detector for members meetings STAT.