I will be stepping down from @directors in October

5 years ago this October, @unknowndomain, Yulia and I attended a meeting at the Dogstar about starting a “Brixton Hackspace”. I embarassed myself with an abortive dramatic exit and the rest is history. 5 years feels like long enough to be doing this! My free time is pretty limited and I’d quite like to do some other things with it.

So I’m hereby giving 2 months notice: By Monday 16th October, we will need to sort out a method for selecting a new Director to fill my place. If we want to expand to 4 or 5 Directors (I think we should), it’d make sense to do that at the same time.

I’d be happy to stay on for another month after that date, if we feel that a “transition period” is neccesary. Let’s use this as a good excuse to get the procedure clear and written down.

11 Likes

Thank you for everything you’ve done, as well as pushing me into becoming a director way back.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your time and work making slms what it is

5 Likes

Thankyou for being part of the startup of this Hackspace, it will be sad to see you step down.

1 Like

Thanks for all your work and dedication Tom.

1 Like

Mad props and huge thanks for all your work :slight_smile:

1 Like

@tomnewsom’s contribution over the years has been huge – from being there when the idea was just a seed, to pushing for real action, to taking on many thankless and ‘invisible’ tasks behind the scenes that make Makerspace work from day to day.

There isn’t a level of thanks which does justice to such a huge and core contribution.

##Thank you Tommen!

2 Likes

Thank you for all your efforts in making the 'space what it is today.

1 Like

Thanks Tom for all your work. Are you also stepping down as treasurer?

1 Like

Yes. Pete, Dermot, my replacement, or any additional directors we choose to elect will have to take on that job.

1 Like

Thank you for all your hard work Tom, and making it look effortless!

1 Like

Thanks Tommen! 5 years! Wow. Miss you guys x

2 Likes

Sorry to see you step down, your work and presence have been greatly appreciated!

As a member of only 6 months, thank you, the space is very special and I’m sure would be different without your huge efforts.

great work Tom,]]

now who is going to replace your hyper fast responses to questions/requests. ( i actually think you have automated this)

Someone with a desk job and two monitors with dozens of overlapping windows with which to bury Discourse amongst :smiley:

1 Like

Mammoth endeavour Tom, and all the founders and all those who helped build SLMS. Hats off to you and all.

Glad you’ll still be an active member!

2 Likes