I have had a fantastic idea but no idea how to implement it

@Dermot suggested (granted it was an April fools joke) that the makerspace would be moving to a completely online space, accessed through VR.

I think this is a reasonable course of action, tools will never get damaged, they’ll have permanaent homes, commuting would be easy for everyone and we can grow exponentially.

I think we should do this?? Solves a lot of our practical problems and it won’t be over engineered.

8 Likes

We use outlines behind the racks for hand tools:

It’s not perfect, because sometimes it’s hard to match things like screwdrivers to their correct outlines.

And each zone has it’s own color code:
https://www.i3detroit.org/wiki/Category:Zones

Every hackerspace has these dicussions, LoL

2 Likes

I’d love to visit!

Hi, I’m colourblind, I hate this.

1 Like

Embedding the photo:

Looks cool, good idea!

@emuboy - we can always use numbers instead, no need to hate on it…

I dig that it’s all in one place.

1 Like

That’s better.

Well, I can’t love something that would make my life difficult :wink:

Lots of great suggestions here but we’ve tried all of them and they have all failed miserably.

2 Likes

Any time you’re in the Detroit area, please msg me if you would like a tour of our space. Happy to share

2 Likes

Sounds very reasonable and easy to implement - maybe we could make it ‘blockchain native’ as well? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

South London Metaspace.

4 Likes

I feel a ‘Solar Frikin Roadways!’ viral ad coming on.

2 Likes

Yup, that’s the “shadow board” mentioned earlier. Great example, looks fantastic!

It’s a super useful organisational tool for work as you know everything has a place and it can be grouped consistently (all screwdrivers/spanners in order). It also discourages people leaving stuff laying around since there’s an obvious gap where something should be.

We did it in our workshops at my old job and it worked well.

1 Like

Sounds good!

@will-hay - we should try this in one of the areas…

1 Like

Cool. So do we need a bit of wall to put chipboard against?

I think the Arch one shelving, just inside the messy workshop, needs organising the most. So maybe there?

I think a lot of that is destined for the metal shop so might be worth waiting for it to move to its forever home.

Yea, that is the biggest mess but probably wait until a lot of it moves, though some will stay, I am trying to think of an area we can work on now…

What are we waiting for with the move? Any reason we can’t get going with moving the metal shop?

They were waiting to move the big stuff into place first. There is a planned machine switcheroo i think too.