Hyperloop

And since I think we can agree a good thread is incomplete without a good gif, here is an unrelated one.

source

1 Like

Interesting to hear your points. thanks for going into things a bit more.
Obviously i totally disagree :rofl::joy::joy::rofl: but i think we’re both adult enough to actually be able to disaagree but still maintain a conversation which is a good thing in itself.

[quote=“CriticalTolerance, post:20, topic:13517”]
I sincerely apologise if it’s upset you
[/quote] well i apologies for jumping the gun but it’s been quite a difficult time for me on discourse recently [ha ha] so hopefully you can forgive me for highlighting inconsistencies in moderation.

i’m not sure he has one does he, i thought he said here’s an idea, im busy doing stuff , if any one else wants to try here’s the blueprint.

[quote=“CriticalTolerance, post:20, topic:13517”]
his attitude towards his employees is negligent (
[/quote] it would be interesting to see some factual rather than allegations - im not sure how you could run this many business without making some errors but that wouldnt mean they are on purpose. i imagine that running a business would be extremly difficuly and one of the things you would need to get right is treating the workforce well. the post might need spiltting though then

I’m no expert but i think the technology is just starting out and we really don’t know that much about it yet or where it will be headed. The changes since this post was started have been very positive.

Before the Model 3, powering a car with electricity was more expensive than fossil fuels - the tried and tested technolgy. it would take someone with the vision to say pfff let’s do the right thing here. now electricity is cheaper than fossil fuels per mile. no more tale pipe emissions, batteries have gone from extremly low to upto 1000mile range with a 1million mile lifetime that will mean the battery will probably out last three cars. there are companies that can recycyling about 95% of batteries now and blah blah blah. fossil fuel companies are still being assivly subsidised by the Tax payer because they simple are able to be profitable without our ongoing bail out while now renewable electricity is now the cheapest form of energy and its no longer subsidised.

Innovation and progress only comes from challenging the norm not by limiting yourself to it.

Some people see problems, and other see opportunities and i believe that’s what makes people a genius or not. The history books aren’t filled with people who found reasons why something wouldn’t work. they are filled with people who invented things or made things or somehow moved things forward.

Let’s just ignore HS2 haha. Brits can’t do anything right. but as i said its not a comperition.

There really isnt. The house hold economics model applied to government level projects is just a wierd Tory government spin fest to stop us spending money on things that 99% of us would actually benefit from: Governments can borrow money from other governments or institutions for projects they want to invest in. The money borrowed can be payed back in Taxs buy the companies that make money on it and all the companies and people threw income tax. It’s up to governments to decide what projects we spend money on. Banks can literally create money if they want to to lend to companies or governments. There isnt a pot of gold that has X number of pieces of gold in it. that runs out if you take to much. its not like your house hold bills where you only have X amount to spend that month.

Highspeed Rail 2 has been a massive disater because of the overspend on it. it would be hard to know what you could learn from that other than we arent good at projects in this country. But im not saying dont do that too.

i’m just posting about it because the subject itself is quite interesting and it will be interesting to see whereit goes. i dont think it needs to be at the cost of highspeed rail.

spinning off into Musk-bashing kinda distracts though. Especially when it’s other companies that are actually investing time and energy in it.

…errr, its saturday and the sun is shining…

Hm. Well perhaps we’d better leave it there.

1 Like

Saw this on twitter today. Looks like hyperloop is happening. Major companies and funding involved.

https://www.existentialcomics.com/comic/other/17
I saw this comic recently, thought it’s funny, assuming its about hyperloop?:roll_eyes::sweat_smile:

1 Like

The link I sent is not all about Elon Musk. Virgin are also developing hyperloop looking at cargo transport to start with.

1 Like

Hyperloop again?

Let’s face it, it’s a sink for investor’s money, vacuum travel it’s not viable with today’s tecnologies, the complication are huge and the return it’s mimimal, the idea that we need to fit the transport pods with oxygen it’s alone inpractical, unreasonable and a waste of money.

This is the same thing of the flying car, everyone want one, everyone will build one, no one want to find themselves in a flying car crash.

2 Likes

This is the Hyperloop thread and I am pointing out that research is ongoing.

1 Like

In the link @dsikar sent they mention at the end using it for transport of goods not people, which sounds like a good idea to me. But I don’t know anything about the expenses tied to it.

1 Like

I believe it will happen … and fast

Only 13 years ago Tesla launched its first car, then, the word was electric vehicles will be the end of the combustion engine. Not many people believed it then, sure it was a good idea, would be good for the environment but there were too many issues about distance capabilities, battery technology, charging infrastructure etc.

In 9 years you will not be able to buy a new car in the with an internal combustion engine!

In fact I actually believe it won’t be long before the use of a car is dramatically changed. There will be less car ownership and self driving transport pods will be available (with the use of an app) to pick you up from home and deliver you to your destination. Then it will travel to the next and nearest traveller!

Some of these pods will deliver you to the nearest loop connection station which will take you to a hyper loop hub connecting London to Edinburgh in less than an hour.
When arriving at the station another “transpod” as they will be known, will take you to your day trip to the local distilleries.
You then have the choice of staying over or to reverse the journey and be tucked up in your own magnetic levitating bed by midnight!

It will happen, there is money to be made!

Unfortunately the only fly in the ointment is where we all live, if climate change hits a tipping point before this, a hyper ark is what will be required, alas there is no money to be made for this yet!

2 Likes

The last time I commented on Musk and Hyperloop someone got very angry and accused me of bullying, so perhaps I’ll leave it.

I will say that at as someone who works in public transport as an engineer, I estimate Musk is responsible for approximately 53% of the alcoholic tendencies of public transport workers.

3 Likes