How would you quickly cut wood sheet manually (no precision needed)? - Wooden box

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49e7a40a0>

I’ve finished my first wooden box using 3mm hardboard.

When I bought a sheet of hardboard to make this box, I had to cut the sheet in two smaller manageable chunks, and I’m not sure about the best way to do this.

I’m not talking about being in the SLMS or having power tools, but instead how would you cut a large sheet with manual tool just outside the shop to fit it in the car easily.
A hand saw could be possible (as long as the thickness of the blade does not increase), but requires more effort to cut through 1 metre and it’s not great without clamping.
I have used an old tin-snip, but it’s not great, it tends to curve the surface out of a plane and separate layers of the material.
I wonder if you have used a better type of tin snip or scissors or other tool that you would recommend for this task.
Thanks

For hardboard I’d probably try using a long level (or any long straight edge) and run a stanley knife down it a few times to score it. I’d either continue scoring until actually cutting all the way, or just get half way then fold it over which would likely separate the two halves

6 Likes

Would a small jigsaw not suffice? Would be fast, and dirt cheap. If you ask nicely, I’m sure someone may be willing to lend you one if it’s a one-off. Argos sell them for as cheap as £20. It may tear the board up but it’ll do a better job than those tin snips.

1 Like

If you want a straight line, then scoring with a sharp stanley knife and then folding or just scoring straight through with the knife will be better than the jigsaw. Use a straight edge.
Jigsaws tend to make a bit of a mess of thin materials like hardboard as it ends up flapping about everywhere.

1 Like

A Stanley knife is basically a thin saw with infinitely small teeth. So I’ve ordered a small Japanese saw with small teeth, that in principle should work similarly. Unfortunately saws with even smaller tiny teeth don’t seem available.
I’ll let you know when I receive if it works well.
Thank you.

places that do models have saws for balsa wood with really fine teeth if you need to go finer than Japanese but larger than stanley. I would use a stanley myself

1 Like

I routinely use Stanley type knife for cuts like these with a metal ruler (but dj pay attention to not cutting your fingers if you press down and slide…)

1 Like