How to attach castor to "hairpin" table leg - any ideas?

I need to attach these 50mm castors to the each table leg, as shown in the photo. How can I do it?

Mounting needs to be stable but does not need to bear much weight -it’s a desk for a laptop etc. The thread on the castor (see photo) is M10, but only 15mm long unfortunately; I could not find any castors that size with a longer bolt.

Any ideas?

welder!

1 Like

If it’s not bearing much weight wouldn’t skids be better both practically and aesthetically ?

You could use penny sized bits of felt, nylon, maybe even something with a teflon coating or something of that sort if you’re on carpet. Attach with an adhesive.

1 Like

Weld or braze an M10 nut on the bottom of the legs?

1 Like

Disclaimer: I know next to nothing about metalwork.

Is the metal pole hollow? If not, is it wider than the m10 bolt? Can you not drill out a threaded hole for it to screw into?

I will weld it on if we can find somewhere to do it .

Probably in the small hours outside when we can lock the gate

Thanks for good suggestions. The concensus seems to be… WELD IT! Does the Space own welding equipment? Is there an induction if so (silly question, there must be). Thanks @joeatkin2, let’s talk more. Meanwhile, I will obtain M10 nuts; I assume plain steel, not stainless etc.?

Good suggestion Barnaby. Unfortunately, I bought shorter legs assuming I would mount on wheels, so at present the table is too low to use - therefore I need the height raise of the castors. I could insert shims where the table joins the legs to raise it though. Felt pads would probably work on most of this floor, but some of the area is plain floorboards so not sure.

Unfortunately, external diameter of the leg is only 10mm, so too small for tapped hole. Good idea though; maybe I could get smaller castors with presumably smaller mounting bolts. Hadn’t thought of that.

Yes we do nowhere to do it so outside when we can control the access to the car park