How Often Is The Workshop Open?

Sometimes it says on the calendar that the space is open from say, 9am - 12pm. And then much later in the same day, it’s open at 6pm - 9pm. Just wondering, does it really stay closed from 12pm to 6pm? Or is it still open and someone just made a bit of a mistake on the calender?

Today, it says that the workshop had a session which supposedly ended at 13:30, and there has been no other sessions which have been stated since (at the time of me typing this, it is 16:02) Does this mean that, again, the workshop is now closed, or is it actually open and no one has updated it on the calendar?

Just asking cus I really wanna show up but this problem keeps happening and messing with my schedule.

1 Like

It really depends - sometimes yes and sometimes no. There was an indicator that showed if the shutters were up or down which indicated if someone was in the space or not, but it appears to be removed(?) as it can be quite buggy.

I know the calender isn’t a fantastic, mainly due to lack of diligence from members coming to the space in terms of listing your time but I don’t think I’ve seen another decent suggestion. Projets often occupy a lot of headspace and unless you need a specific bit of kit remembering to book the space is often a low-prio thing!

I think since I got shutter access nearly a year ago I’ve used it 2-3 times, and been to the space loads.

If your new I would just head down quite a lot during common popular times (afterwork, weekends) and get to know people so you can get shutter access after a while. Accepting that there will be occasional times where you need to leave or it is closed or people are late to their booking… There are always the open evenings an electronic nights etc. when you can guarantee something will be open.

I want to follow this by saying I rarely check the calendar and have not once turned up to find it closed. Appreciate it makes a difference if you’re making a journey from further away but hope that’s some encouragement to come along!

@systems do we have recent data on times the space is usually open?

This was from last month and is useful to see

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/opening-hours-data/34849?u=petermakesprints

Dear all,:smiley: you can bet im around on Sunday and Mondays ( just need to fill the other five days ) , Weekends are usually the busiest week days are a bit hit and miss during the daytime although evenings are better. Keep well . Brian D=