How does one go about requesting/making a case for tools/equipment?

Topic of a Dremel station was brought up during the Space Planning Meeting by Brendon. Which I think would be great.

Would love to use it to do some wood carving and finishing, and a few bits would make it a lot more feasible for that and other uses going forward.

Dremel flexi-shaft - think Brendon mentioned this in the Space Planning Meeting as well, would also be useful if anyone wanted to work on finer things like jewellery (£36)

A small set of larger rotary burrs. There’s a couple in the set we have but v small. Such as this range, but will bow to ppl’s expertise if there are better options:

And if we’re pushing the boat out, a spare battery so can do continuous working (£50)

Would be mega useful, if poss!

1 Like

Hi Ben!

Good ideas! Typically tools fall under a certain area of the space, so the request would go to the techs of that area, ie. wood, metal, cnc etc… Techs of the areas can spend up to 50 pounds on consumables and things a month, for larger expenses they would go to the Directors to get spending approval.

This is kind of general use, so could be acquired for the space as a whole if it is something that would be obviously beneficial and there is budget. Other times members have done pledge drives, like in the case of the bike stand and the drum sander.

@Brendon_Hatcher - is this what you were thinking for the Dremel area?

Thanks!
Andy

1 Like

Flexible shaft - definitely
Holder to suspend the dremel when using the flexible shaft
A foot control (I have a basic one I made)
Dust protection using the repurposed sandblasting cabinet
Rack of bits

2 Likes

We shold go for the big one with the pedal to hang it for general use, and put a motor to the shaft we have for the dust containing cabinet. The fortiflex lasts more than a decade with heavy use. Also we can check out other hangng motors, I think I saw a cheaper one at hs walsh.

https://www.hswalsh.com/product/balkan-universal-15000-rpm-pendant-motor-drill-tp883

3 Likes

Thanks guys - yeah for a permanent station seems like a mains powered hanging one would be the way to go.

What about this brand?:
https://www.foredom.net/product-category/flex-shaft-tools/

Seems like this is a good deal? Elsewhere is like 300+ so maybe a knock-off???

Foredom is american made with a bunch of accessories, like hammer action, and powergraver handpieces. with a jawdropping pricetag. The cheap new ones on ebay usually a product of the chinese engineering genius. I read stories in the jewellers fb group about them, so we might need to ask Joe to plug it in his tester and check connections first to be on the safe side. (for comparing thats the page for the sr on cookson https://www.cooksongold.com/Jewellery-Tools/Foredom-Pendant-Motor-SR-Jewellers-Kit-Quick-Release-System-prcode-999-FD02 ) otherwise chinese quality went up recently so it sounds like a usable option, especially if they made everything the same size, so we can get used handpieces)