How best to fasten acrylic together?

I’d like to make a case out of acrylic pieces. I plan to laser cut 3 pieces that can be stacked on top of each other to make the case. I however do not know how to bond them together (not sure if screws or glue is the right way, I’m open to either).

Anyone have experience creating cases for stuff? Here’s a sample of what I want to make (literally everything the same except the laser cut design for the part that lights up will be different).

1 Like

3m do a double sided sticky plastic tape that works

1 Like

3m? What does that mean? 3 meters?

Hi @zeenotheinventor - 3M is the manufacturer.
You can get it from some craft stores and Amazon.
It looks like this https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/company-uk/3m-products/~/3M-VHB-Tape-4613/?N=5002385+3292963000&preselect=8710676+8710815+8710960+3293786499&rt=rud

1 Like

There are also adhesives for bonding/welding acrylic

1 Like

However for extra strength you probably want to make sure there is some sort of physical tab/slot arrangement going on at the base if possible (work this into your cut/design) as this will be significantly stronger than sticking/gluing flat surfaces together.

(Probably prototype this bit on some scrap too)

When I used to do this, I used a solvent based glue as it melts the acrylic and bonds it together.
Something like Tensol 12 should work… https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/131755687310
Tensol 70 is stronger than Tensol 12, but needs mixing prior to use.
You need this kind of bonding as any other kind won’t have sufficient strength. That 3M tape will not last long, in fact I’d be surprised if it worked at all when used on the end of a sheet.
In particular, with a large upright panel like that, you’ll get a fair amount of lever force working on the joint.
If you use a thicker sheet for your upright section, you’ll get a larger surface area to bond. You will see a commensurate increase in weight though.
You could cut a strip to be fixed to both the horizontal and vertical sheets, and affix it behind so it’s less obvious. You would really increase the surface area of the bond, and hence the strength.
Make sure you prepare the surfaces well too. Wipe down with isopropyl alcohol. You might want to consider keying the surface by sanding lightly, too. (Before cleaning down).

1 Like

Would the melting not cause deformities? It’s meant to be quite visually appealing, I’m concerned if it would essentially melt and look bad. What do you think?

Nope, not really.
The melting is on a very small scale. The surfaces go soft, meld together, and harden again.
You would need to ensure it’s all properly supported while this is happening - I can’t remember how long it takes to cure.
I found a video here… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT6Ow_cBTps

1 Like

I use acrylic weld which can be bought at most model hobby shops. Dries clear and welds are very secure.

Excellent. Cheers everyone. I’ll look into it! :slight_smile:

I hear we have acrylic supplies in the space. Any chance I could come take a look at the stock and pick what I need? (As well as pay)

1 Like