Hi New Members! Anyone interested in collaborative projects?

Hello everyone! I am Ozum. I am a relatively new member and I have already attended some inductions. Although I really want to make something, I don’t know where to start. I am sure many of you have been there.

During the members’ meeting on Tuesday, I suggested initiating collaborative projects, which help new members to get to know people and space, and to start making something. It would be best if we could find some projects covering different areas in the makerspace. For a start, we can identify the needs of the community and turn them into collaborative projects that new members (with the mentorship of experienced members) work on together. Or if you have any projects in mind but not sure if you can start/finish by yourself, we can work on it together.

@peter_hellyer mentioned about LED lights project (which will include laser cutting, electronics, woodwork)

@cibelesoaresalvareng and @Howard are planning a printing workshop which will include different areas (laser cutting, textiles and printing)

Please let me know if you would be interested in taking part in such projects. We can discuss what can be done.

5 Likes

I’m happy to help with the LEDs , I-m working with the LED panels we had around for a while and generally happy to be around shiny stuff :smiley:

1 Like

I’m very interested in collaborative projects in particular, currently thinking about printing on lightweight cotton as well as flying sound system

2 Likes

@techfolderkites Both sound interesting :slight_smile: I can join you with the printing.
@emuboy That would be great! Do you know about the details of the LED signs project (I supposed they are to guide people from the entrance of the estate to the makerspace?)

1 Like

Here’s the thread about the sign project

Although I like your idea about guiding people to the Space…

At the moment is only a toy , but that is not a bad idea :slight_smile:

HELLO ALL
we are making the shopping list for the @silkscreentechs printing area and we are getting some inks for linocut too so @ozumcan we can do some colour print, @techfolderkites we have a great printing table perfect for block and stencil printing.
Chanelle @StudioNelle the idea of letter press is awesome, I love letterpress and the idea of making them here is very exciting and even crossover with Ozum idea of ex-libris, and @Howard and I want to make some paper, as we have papermaking frames a workshop will be fun.
I want to get the Canopy Beer waste to make those papers.

1 Like

All sounds great! I have tried paper making before. Please let me know when you will make the papers. I can help you.

Hi Ozum, it sounds like some great stuff is coming out of your idea, well done!

When you raised it in the meeting I mentioned fitting seals around the edges of the doors of the woodwork shop. I know it’s not the most exciting job in the world but I’m going to get it done one day next week, and if you are free one weekday and fancy joining me we could do it together.

Hahahah! Thank you Sarah! I can come on Saturday or on Sunday morning. Let me know when you are planning to do it.

I could do Sunday morning from around 10. I’ll measure up today and order what we need. :slight_smile:

This is another quick one for the space - maybe for someone who has recently done the laser induction and wants a project to practice with - we need another sign like this for the inside of the woodwork room door.

I’d love to collaborate on projects. I’ve got a few of my own at various stages of development

Am I the only person who’s OCD is going into overdrive because the red tape doesn’t border the sign fully?!

1 Like

Ha ha no!!! I’m quietly distressed by that too!

1 Like

(But have been bugging people about so many things recently, I thought I would maybe let that one slide…)

1 Like

@ozumcam @cibelesoaresalvareng @Howard @techfolderkites I’d be interested in joining you for the printing workshop. I have a huge skylight in my room which I need to have a blind for by summer, and if I could print something personal or artistic on it it would be something special. Anyway it’s not necessary to do that for the collaborative project unless others have a similar problem, but I’d love to join and learn about printing.

1 Like

Welcome @robd to the Makerspace, come along to the printsapace and learn print tectonics with us, @silkscreentechs will be on the space tomorrow fora informal meeting to plan next induction, workshops, etc…
. Bring your ideas and join us

Thank you for the invite, I can’t make it today (Sat) I’m afraid

We definitely need a doorbell – this can be just a simple off the shelf one, or something more fancy that flashes a light in the noisy area, for example. But it needs to work and be reliable…

So that’s a mini challenge you’re welcome to explore