Hi and a knife making!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa493d65f08> #<Tag:0x00007fa493d65d78>

Hi All. I’ve just signed up for the waiting list but wasn’t sure where to ask my question since I’m not a member yet. I’ve been making knives while we were in the first lockdown, in my dad’s shed for the most part, and haven’t had the chance to any for a year now and want to carry on. Is this something that I would be okay to do? I mainly need a bench sander or something similar (I can buy the belts or discs) and a drill press. I won’t be doing anything with fire myself, sending the blades off to be tempered for me and then finishing the knives myself. I’m mainly doing kitchen knives and can share what I’ve made so far if it helps
Cheers, Marcus

2 Likes

Hi Marcus,

That’s all allowed, unless you’d use beltsander on metal.

Send us some pics for sure, this is exciting!

Best,

Petra

Hi Marcus,

Our metal working area is pretty small at the moment but we’re hopeful to have more space as we finish our expansion into a second arch. I have talked with the wood techs and arrived at a work around for sanding. Happy to discuss details in the space!

I think a lot of folks would love to some photos of your work if you’re comfortable sharing!

Hey Guys,

Good to know, fingers crossed i come off the waiting list soon, would love to make more and improve!

Yea of course some images here of some of the knives i’ve made so far! The pictures don’t do them justice!

8 Likes

Those are some beautiful handles! I’m sure the blades really shine in person!

Nice knives. There’s a few folks into leather craft, in case that’s also of interest.

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful, I wouldn’t mind making one, let me know if you are free for a chat

1 Like

Maybe another opportunity for the Makerbuddy trial?

2 Likes

If they sell the belt sander in lidl we should get one for the metal workshop, it can be mounted on a bench. I have one and it’s pretty good!
@Marcus Lovely knives! the damascus with the ebony handle on bottom left is my favourite! what is the composition of the damask?

@PReardon i’ll be coming to the intro on the 14th so could chat then if you’re there!

I did use a lidl belt sander at home when i was doing it, it didn’t last to long haha! The damascus is 15N20 & 1095 but i’ve done one that was EN94 and 80crv2

1 Like

Those knives you’ve made look awesome! I may need to pick your brains at some point. Looking to re-handle a knife. Watched enough vids to have a rough idea of what to do, but nowt like first-hand experience.

I’m lucky with mine than it stands the beaing qiute well.

Hi, yesterday I had fun playing with a steel bar to make a kitchen knife. Bevel Cutting/Grinding the blade with angle grinder or table grinder isn’t ideal in my opinion and a belt sander is better. Now that the big belt sander is back in the wood workshop; the small one could be used mainly for sharpening chisels, planes and for knife making… can I maybe move the small belt sander temporary into the metal area? I think this will reduce risk of sparkles in wood workshop. What do you think?

@woodtechs, @metaltechs?

1 Like

The big Axminster isn’t in operation just yet, let’s wait a bit before we make any decisions.

The idea popped up in my head too…

No problem @Ryanf I’m at your service :innocent:. Ping me if you need help to set up the Axminster.

2 Likes