Help on making Sliding bath panel

Recoverable from old hard disks, amongst other things, including gold

Is Magnet run by a magnate?

1 Like

That is possibly the best bodge I’ve heard of yet.

1 Like

Probably!

How to spot an AvE watcher :smiley:

2 Likes

Getting there.
Thanks to @Jonty_Bottomley for helping with the table saw cuts.
I bought some melamine faced chipboard to try out the push to open panel.

After hours of fiddling as nothing is straight I got a satisfactory result. Need to fix the small end piece and seal the ends of the chip.
I used bottom mounted push to open runners secured to some ply which is screwed to floorboards. This saved me from having to construct a case around the drawer as space is tight .

8 Likes

Good job.

Where did you get the runners?

Is it bathroom grade (green/treated) melamine? Because normal stuff doesn’t like water. Perhaps you could seal the bare chipboard around edges and a bit of silicone in screw holes before putting in screws.

I got the melamine from Champion timber. Found the runners there while I waited

The house also came with pretty shabby leaky shed…time for a makeover!

9 Likes

Well it has bee working fine for a few weeks but I’ve learnt a lesson in dealing with expansion.
The way I designed it means that the drawer doesn’t open easily when the bath is full of warm water. As I designed the drawer to look almost seamless with less than a mm gap all round.

No biggie but now I have to think of a good reason why you would want a drawer that locks when the bath is full and turn it into a feature.

1 Like

Out of interest, is it an expansion issue or a loading issue? I.e. if the bath is full of cold water, does it still jam?

That’s what I was going to say. They do move a lot with 1/4 of a tonne of water in…

I took the weight into account as I filled it with water before sealing edges with with silicone and fitting drawer.
The weight shift is a good few ml

Interesting. I never would have thought thermal expansion would have such an effect.

And you call yourself an engineer?

maybe i just like really hot baths :smiley:

1 Like

Back of an envelope says there’s about 1mm expansion in the length of a stainless steel bath taking it from 15 to 40°C

surely this means that the gaps around the panel would get bigger as the heat went up though? Or is there thermal expansion in the furniture board that is causing the problem?

Depends on what is firmly connected to what.

it’s literally wedged into the wall on the far edge with large triangular shaped gaps on either end (originally filled with silcone and toilet tissues!) and then screwed directly into the floorboards underneath.