Help needed with a small project on the metal lathe

Hey all and @metaltechs, I haven’t yet been inducted on the metal lathe, but I would really appreciate some help from someone to create a small aluminium artefact (either one of the two objects pictured below).

How easy would the inward taper be to achieve on our metal lathe (on the left hand object)?

I can do the working drawings, create any guides needed and of course buy all of the aluminium.

I would appreciate some advice and more than happy to return the favour with my skillset, volunteer a bunch of time in the metalshop or grab some beers!

Easy, that’s what lathe is designed to do.
Lathe availability is a little intermittent atm, we’ve just decommissioned old one and the new one though already working requires a few bits to be finished.

1 Like

I see, thanks for the info @scythian! Good to hear. Would it be up and running at any point this week? Are you in the Makerspace any evenings this week?

I’m partially away this week, but can be in Tuesday or Friday. I’m not 100% sure what we’re missing, I’ll have a look. It is not fully fixable this week, but we may (or may not) have capability to turn your parts. At the moment there’s no coolant, guard/estops are missing, lathe is not level, and I’m not sure what compound looks like.

1 Like

Ahh okay, thanks for explaining the Situation. Friday evening would be great! Would 19:00 work? I’ll buy some spare aluminium in case we need to run a few test runs.

Will the new lathe require separate inductions?

five minute intro to the new controls, and if we do thread cutting then some extra, let me think about it

4 Likes