Help needed: resizing a metal window frame

Hello everyone,
I a currently re-building my house and hidden in the wall I found two original metal windows I would like to re-use. I cleaned down to metal and I will need someone who could re-size the wider one to be the same as the other. If needed I can cut it ready for welding, as that is a skill I don’t have yet. Otherwise if you think you would cut it too to do a better job, that would be fine by me.
I can send pictures of the frames, if needed.
Thank you.
Emanuele Costantini

Welcome Emanuele,
We don’t really do tasks like this for people but we do provide the tools and space for you to use in order to do them yourself. Maybe on a very good day you’ll find someone who will volunteer to do it for you but it’s absolutely not guaranteed. You will be able to get advice, suggestions, and maybe a helping hand from members if you’re stuck.

When you become a member, you can put your name into the MIG Welding Induction waiting list and you can start practicing some new welding skills once you’ve been inducted.

The welding induction also covers the safe and proper use of angle grinders.

3 Likes

Thank you for your answer. My proposal was just in case someone will be at the workshop and have half an hour to spare to do it, before I’ll learn how to weld.
:slight_smile:

Hi
Do you know what kind of metal the window frame is made of?

Not sure. It’s galvanised steel or iron depending on what they were doing on 1958 when the house was built.

Looks like they’re probably galvanised mild steel.

All of the zinc near to the welding sites will need to be ground off. It’s highly toxic when burnt.

I don’t have time to help at the moment, but you could ask for a ‘maker buddy’. I’ve seen other people ask for one. Or one of the welding techs might help you cut and weld it.

Thank you!