Help needed! Exciting project!

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49e0b9218>

Hello everyone!
The lovely James Bruton from youtube recommended you guys to me.
My name is Ruby. I am currently in my final year of studying fashion design at Central Saint Martins university in London. I’m in the process of designing my final collection, which will be exhibited at the Central Saint Martins’ Graduate Show in May.

I have spent the past 8 months developing a garment that pushes the boundaries of technology co-existing within fashion. I have had to teach myself the basics of electronics, having never studied it before. However, my deadline is soon, being in 2 months time - so given the time-frame and the knowledge needed, I won’t be able to bring the concept to life on my own.

The garment is made up of multiple electromagnetic beads that I have designed (held up by a 3D printed frame). I would like for the beads to work like ‘flip dots’, with the aim for them to individually turn in correspondence with what small motion cameras pick up in real time.

I am looking for someone to finalise the electronics for the garment, working with pcbs, multiplexers and Arduino coding with motion capture.

I come from a very low income background so only have a small sum to contribute. I have been able to afford my material costs so far but now need someone to help me build it. I feel this project is truly innovative and exciting - I will be heartbroken if my personal circumstances hold me back. I would deeply treasure any help someone might be able to offer.

I believe this garment will gain a mass amount of publicity, with key influencers from the creative industry already eager to see it. The Central Saint Martins show alone receives extensive press internationally, with the audience including art and design professionals, media like British Vogue and so many more. I would like to honour this being a collaborative project and will make sure any person involved receives equal press coverage.

I really hope someone on here is able to help me bring this cool creation to life. I can contact you further with the designs and the process so far. Would love to discuss possibilities!

Thank you for reading this!
Best,
Ruby

2 Likes

Ah, probably my fault, I was talking with him at the SMRRF about the SLMS :smiley:

Sadly I’m not in the position to help, my job it’s taking a lot of time from me, we have a weekly event that we host every thursday night, perhaps you can pop in and we can figure out what you need/have/want?

3 Likes

Hi Ruby,:smiley: there is an open evening this Wednesday from 7PM im sure someone can help you or Thursday evening for electronics night around the same time . Keep well . Brian D=

2 Likes

@Laura_Barlow does costume design with integrated electronics and lights I believe. Correct me if I’m wrong! Maybe she can give you some pointers?

With something mechanical like flipdots, you can probably get away with using shift registers to set your output pattern as ons or offs, they’re perfect to use with Arduinos too. Something as simple as 74HC595 and daisy chain them, or, you can indeed multiplex them if you feel up for it. The way they work is super simple and there’s countless amazing tutorials on YouTube, and they’re very inexpensive. If they are electromagnets you would need some additional components and cost pennies.

I’m at electronics night every Thursday - sounds fascinating - I don’t have all the answers but I’d be happy to help

If you send me what you have I can review it before then

Hi Laura!
Thank you so much for your reply!
Would you be able to send me your email so I can send you the pdf of my process so far?
Best,
Ruby :slight_smile:

Hiya Daniel,
Thanks for your reply!

I have designed and prototyped my own beads that work like electromagnets. The beads have a magnet inside them and I have made a 3D printed ‘case’ that holds the copper wiring in a ring for the current. So far, I have explored half h bridges using mosfets, with the hopes to then code them with an arduino nano. I’ve only been using breadboards so far and have looked a little into getting a pcb made - but definitely need someone to figure that out for me. Obviously being a complete novice when it comes to electronics (and rubbish at physics), I feel a little overwhelmed with the rabbit hole of knowledge!

Hi Ruby,
Sounds like a really interesting project, my electronics is a bit rusty but I’ve designed circuit board around arduinos before so would hopefully be able to help out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Pippa!
Thanks for your reply!
Are you at the electronics night on Thursday, as I am planning to pop in then?

I must admit that I know nothing about this, but as someone who regularly works with digital LEDs, it’s probably worth exploring using WS2811 chips or other digital led driver to control the coils.

I’ve not put much thought into this but constant current drivers would seem that they may be appropriate probably with some external circuitry. It’ll depend on the voltage and current draw of the coils.

Then you can control them all with one data pin and an led library. I’ll see what I’ve got in the workshop, and will bring what I can find this evening.

Found some WS2818s

Hi
I’ve got a few of these left.

Let me know if you would like a couple for testing your I2C network.