Help me finish my necklace!

Hi everyone! First just wanted to say thanks so much for being so welcoming and to thank you all for your advice since I joined! I’m so happy to say that I’ve sort-of completed my first project, but it needs some tweaking and I’m looking for some advice, because it doesn’t stay where I want it to when I wear it!

Here’s my necklace when I put it on:

It sits pretty ideally- I want the fish to be as balanced as possible. But after wearing it for a while, the inevitable physics of it all kicks in and the whole thing sort of just slides “backwards”:

And here’s a flat-lay for reference, as it looks quite a bit different - the height of the loops sort of go diagonally down for each section to help it achieve the right angle when it’s being worn.

So far I’ve experimented with the chain length, currently I’ve settled with making the chain on the left side shorter than the other side (10cm on the left, 13cm on the right), which has helped a tad, but that’s about it. As I’m hoping to make a few of these to sell in the future the length of the necklace needs to be adjustable anyway so I can’t rely too much on how it works on my neck specifically :-p.

I know this comes down to the fact that the left side is obviously heavier and therefore wants to be in the middle. Does anyone have an idea for how I could resolve this, preferably without changing the design too much (unless you have a really cool idea of course!!)?

P.s. this necklace is based off of the weird and wonderful Oarfish :fish:

4 Likes

Counterweight? Either at the back along your spine or on the tail end of the fish?

4 Likes

Yes! I’m going to try putting a charm of some kind by the clasp at the back first I think! Unless there’s an elegant way to weigh down the tail without it compromising the design too much? :thinking:

If the weight at the back is not effective, you could cnc a brass backing for the tail and glue it to the tail wood, that might be heavy enough to act as a hidden counter weight, some experimenting with thickness of metal backing…

Also you could add some very small ball bearings at the back and see if those might be heavy enough to help

2 Likes