Hard leather case

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4a3882a80>

Hi All,

I want to make a small hard leather case for daily use (specifically for a vape pen which is an awful colour). I can handle the leather work side, however I’m afraid I’m not as experienced in the 3d modelling/printing element which is needed to create a mould. I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out with scanning/modelling the vape?

Thanks,

Jonathan

We don’t have a 3D scanner - though maybe someone could lend one. Maybe use the pen itself to make the mould using the vacuum former or silicone. Otherwise you could measure with digital calipers, take photos and import into CAD or Blender to use as guide and make a 3D model of it that way. If suitable for what you want to do, vacuum former would probably be the easiest.

Fusion 360 is the one for proper 3d modelling , but a steep learning curve.

However the easiest introduction free 3d software is the web based tinkercad, you will easily be able to model to your requirements with that.
I have made many models with this, it will convert your model to a file that the 3d printer slicer will recognise.

It is ridiculously easy!

You can use illustrator to automatically trace an image and vectorise it. Then can save that as an SVG file which can then import into Fusion 360 and make it into a solid body. You could take photos of top and side views and use coordinate system in Fusion to model it, or spit out the solid body into something that can import into Tinkercad or Shapr3D.

Making a mould and resin cast may be a lot easier. These moulds made from gelatine and sugar may be ample and would cost a couple of quid for a pack of gelatine sachets and some sugar. He’s casting chocolate, but resin would work as well or better. The gelatine can also be melted down and reused. https://youtu.be/6GTp3jQEWns?si=tzysyITEOPT1VDNs

Alternatively, a cartridge of general purpose silicone would be more than enough for making a mould.

Here’s how I made a hard leather pouch for my phone:

• Draw a 2D outline in Inkscape (3D modelling not required)
  • Laser cut the profile on plywood, enough times to build the required height
  • PVA glue the profiles together, belt sand to the correct height and chamfer
  • Cut the frame from 18mm plywood with a fretsaw, 18mm plywood for the base
  • Smooth and varnish all surfaces

My phone mould

I assumed the vape will have a simple profile that can be easily created in a 2D drawing program (or even directly in the Trotec Ruby Design tab).

IMHO the mould needs to be made from something solid and hard considering the pressures involved with moulding leather. I used 3mm thick leather requiring 4 bar clamps at the maximum force I could squeeze! I was pleased with the result.