Glowing wireframe parrot suit

Some members might have seen my EL-wire animal head masks (I brought some to the Maker Festival in station hall back in March):

My most recent is this parrot head, which I made last year:

This year I am, as the meme goes, Drawing the Rest of the Parrot:

I’ve built the wings already, from 2 IKEA TERTIAL anglepoise lamps, fencing wire and corex. They flap, fold and collapse in a pretty cose approximation of real bird wings:

I think I can improve on that final “furled” pose.

Getting a bit big to work on at home now, so expect to see this lot in the space over the coming weeks…

Still to make:

• Backpack attachment for inverters and battery
  • Body feathers
  • Tail feathers
  • Claws (ideally articulated so I can grasp things with them)

I’m planning on using nylon thread to sew the EL-wire onto the edges of the corex feathers, stabilised with hot glue. Any bright ideas for other ways to do this welcome!

Deadline: 22nd August, when I’m taking it to a festival.

Big thanks to Dave at www.elwirecraft.co.uk for supplies and technical advice.
@directors - would it be ok to use SLMS social media to promote them a bit once I’m done?

11 Likes

Perfect fodder for SLMS social media :slight_smile:

2 Likes

)’( by chance?

burning man :slight_smile:

Nah, just a small UK festival. Might try and blag tickets for Glastonbury with it next year though…

Re. the Parrot Head, I have three words for you: Jimmy Buffet fans. Google it if you are not familiar with this US phenomenon. I think you could sell SERIOUS quantities of these things if you wanted to put them into production. I’m not kidding.

Blimey, you’re not are you!

Trouble is the amount of labour required. I’ve been trying to think of a cheap/quick method for years!

Came out well!

I’ll get it on twitter too and then will ask for amplification via the SLMS account :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@directors (and anyone else who fancies amplifying me!)

retweet me:

Thanks for the RT, directors, but you quoted the first tweet I ever made, 9 years ago :smiley:

I’ve done a bit of retweeting just now…

1 Like

Nice one!

1 Like

This looks brilliant Tom, great job!

1 Like