General PC workstation for the clean room

Also I don’t think a crazy GPU is necessary, but we should make sure it supports CUDA for Adobe software.

Only for video stuff, that we won’t be using

We just need something that can rotate 3D cad models without being horribly slow
We could probably find something for 20 quid that would be fine

Actually most Adobe software uses CUDA acceleration now.

Also the purpose of providing the entire Creative Suite not just Illustrator was based on having a machine for these tools, including video.

All the CAD and illustrator stuff can be done on the machines we already have.

Would you be able to find a good machine?
I’m not that up to date with all this jargon.
(About ten years since I worked in networking.)

Does the one I found foot the bill?

Ild avoid trying to build our own.

I had a look on eBay for brand new PCs around £350 and found some ok Dell machines. Dell machines always used to be well built and designed well to fiddle under the bonnet.

I was thinking £350 to give us £150 for a monitor.
And possible a bit more for high end graphic cards.

Saying that we could spend more on the machine. Get a cheap 2nd hand 27" and buy a better one later.

Another option is i bring in my PC. Like the one at the top of the post and you try it out for an afternoon over the weekend.

I think it would be good to keep the momentum up until we make a purchase.

What do you say?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272283173230
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391401318270

I read it as there is 500 for just PC and then monitor on top.

Who want’s to take lead on this? Whoever it is I trust they’ll get / build something good, I’d rather hand it over rather than indecision by committee :wink:

Let’s clarify if it’s £500 or £350 for the PC (@directors) and then I think we should either ask systems to do it, see if any one volunteers, or just post some actually examples on here. (Each person gets like one shot to avoid overload) obvs I’ve had three suggestions already so I get a punch in the arm.

Definitely

The article said cards better for 3D CAD are not so good for games so obviously we get this end of the spectrum, and they are very affordable ( though not quite 20 quid) and are CUDA compatible - the article recommended an NVIDIA Quadro. Done.

Are we buying a PC with that card or adding the card?

Will have a little look after my bath :expressionless::expressionless::expressionless:

I think some real examples would be good at this point.

It’s red and it looks like a teenage boys car from Essex:

3 year warranty!
27" included.
Gaming PC. Is that bad? The wrong kinda power??
Just an example:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321906904397

ha despite my earlier post, I am now filling an amazon basket with parts to build a PC…! :blush:

I’ve got an i5 6600, 8GB ram, NVIDIA Quadro K620, 240GB SSD, tower case, 650 Watt supply, ASUS motherboard, £600 - not bad as DELL want £830 for the same thing. I’m looking at self build because I did it recently, seems cheaper and happy to do it.

According to my brief read up, it’s the wrong kind of GPU. But if we find a good deal on a ‘workstation’ (seems to be PC seller terminology for CAD computer) might be the way to go.

1 Like

If we self build can we get a case with a window and a fan with leds? It could be a 486, but so long as it looks the part from a distance, we’re good.

3 Likes

And obviously I wouldn’t just get from Amazon, was just curious, would shop around and triple check part compatibility.

Was thinking glowing green and water cooled by nordic waterfall…

2 Likes

The Quadro cards are a waste of money at this end of the spectrum. The same money will get you twice the performance in a gaming card.

Buy from Scan. They’re reliable, have been around for decades and have a huge range.

2 Likes

OK, can you then suggest a card, because I’m just regurgitating what I’ve read but if you have real world experience to bring, then suggest something and we’ll just get it, otherwise its this endless
"Lets do this!"
“No don’t do that, do it different”
“OK, this?”
“No, different”
"this…?“
1 week later
"Yeah maybe. I’d have done it different but go on then.”
:expressionless:

and so on. Can you tell I get bit frustrated by all the opinions shared but no actual definitive answers or solutions? Not just you Tom, this is a general moan.

in summary, specifically which graphics card can we afford and is good for CAD?! And / Or, can the @directors nominate someone to do the task - a tiny bit of project management as @boldaslove suggested - clearly we’re all interested but we’re in danger of all talk no action…

1 Like

Understandable frustration! This is a very easy one to bikeshed; we all use computers and all have an opinion. I’m happy to put together a machine & screen order, but someone will have to volunteer for assembly & installation duties. Also would be good to have a volunteer for receiving the delivery. My desk at work is surrounded with empty boxes right now and I think I need to take a break :smiley:

1 Like

Great! Send it to my work and I will assemble and deliver, no problem :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m away for a long weekend but will get onto it on Tuesday.

1 Like