For F¥€&$ Sake put things back!

Seriously not happy

I have come in today to the wood workshop and have been constantly asked where things are!

When I have gone to the place they are supposed to be they are not there.

If you have not done the induction please see a woodtech before using anything in here

If you use something please put it back in exactly the same place that you found it.
DON’T DECIDE YOU KNOW OF A BETTER PLACE.

If you don’t know where something goes leave it out or ask a wood tech

We are missing one of the spanners (black) for the hand router.

The wrench for the lathe chuck was not with the lathe chuck.

The double sided tape (used for router) was in the screen printing area.

And in the sharpening box there was 2 books for the Tormek sharpening system

The one for the wood turning tools is there (picture below) but the general sharpening one is not.

What really pisses me off is the fact that all three of these tools have not had inductions yet so should not be used unsupervised.

And the worse part is whoever has lost them actually must have found them and taken them from the correct place. And then either not put them back or left them out for someone else to put away, … in the wrong place!

Tidying is hiding if you put it in the wrong place

So please put things back only where you found them,

If that is on a bench and you are not sure where they go leave them on the bench!!!

3 Likes

Let’s nip this in the bud. This is an amazingly valuable resource and needs to be respected and used correctly. There’s a lot of new members, which is great, but if we waste time hunting for things then it becomes self-defeating.

There must be a solution.
Off the top of my head:
I might keep a project notebook including items borrowed and where they’re borrowed from. Then when I’m packing up, I’ll have a record of what needs to be returned and to where.

It could be digital, on my phone, and could also record how I find things and how I leave them.

1 Like

We don’t need it anymore as all the chisels have gone walk about

I thought they looked a bit sparse…

1 Like

That’s sad. I’m no fan of surveillance and sorry to say it but “something must be done”

I don’t think that it’s malicious, just dum

Book shops / record shops sometimes had a ‘i’m no longer interested’ basket to try and avoid people shoving things in the wrong places.

For woodshop could be ’ where does this live?’ basket - especially useful for things seemingly abandoned on the workbench.

6 Likes

I hope so but that’s especially silly if they’re inducted and unacceptable if they’re not, because they shouldn’t be using them at all.

An “unknown address” basket is a great idea Twm.

Although it’s not difficult to see where chisels go?

1 Like

Mostly I’m just trying to work out what the hell people would be doing with them - if they’re not being pinched, where the hell have they gone?

1 Like

Eating?

Good idea

I suppose they could be confused as the following;

Spatula for screen printing
Metalwork wedge
Tool for cleaning the bed of the laser cutter
Tool for cleaning burnt cheese from the sandwich maker
Tool for removing prints from the 3d printer
Heat shunt for soldering
Leatherwork craft knife
Cotton thread cutter
Disposable chisels

Easy mistake to make I suppose!

1 Like

The funny bit is that new ones with strikes keep appearing and I get rid of them , I suspect someone is swapping them out because they don’t know how to sharpen

Or they can’t find the Sharpening wheel instruction book!!!

2 Likes

It’s certainly a mystery. Get Columbo in!

Is this the lathe chisels? Hoping to get in and do some turning soon but if they’re all missing I’ll wait and see if they turn up…!

This seems like an excellent solution. There’s often abandoned small tools on the table in the clean room – I put them away if I can tell where they go…but having these boxes makes a perfect place to start when hunting for missing tools.

3 Likes

Nope lathe tools all accounted for. It was touch and go with the chuck spanner though as it wasn’t returned to box but crisis averted, it was under some other general crap that had accumulated on the lathe bench. So yep come and turn!

3 Likes

Perhaps vital tools/parts and their homes could be marked with matching luminous paint

I’ll have the ones with strikes if they’re going free?