Flashforge spool holder

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49b28de98>

Hi tridimensional techs,

I’m taking one of the FF spool holder home so I can design the new one for the right hand side spool. It will be back in the space this week.

The printer is fully functional but with 1 spool only.
Ps: we are running out of 1.75mm filament, what’s the approach for new filament?

@3dtechs

Thanks,
Federico

3 Likes

Thanks Federico!

Historically people have bought their own filament and then some have also left it in the space with a share some but don’t use it all up type informal arrangement. Maybe a group pledge drive would be a good idea?

I don’t have an eye on the space budget yet, so can’t volunteer any general funds at this point, but in other areas we do purchase some consumables.

Hope that helps?

If someone is happy to go in halves with with me I’m down to buy two spools (1.75 and 2.85) for us. I’ve benefitted from the communal spools but also don’t print as much so a whole kilo would be on my shelf far too long.

@3dtechs I was thinking it might be good to switch the Ultimaker over to the more common 1.75mm filament and then we only have to stock one size. Thoughts?

1 Like

Switching to 1.75 sounds like a good idea to me, the internet says ultimaker 2 will support it. At most we might have to tighten the extruder gears. We should finish up the thicker filament though.

We have a 2+ not a 2 I think ? Which is more involved. Read up that it might need other parts purchased. Can’t just use the adafruit guide I don’t think. But can research more.

1 Like

Yeah its a 2+ … well was upgraded from a 2 in 2017 see here for some context in case it is useful!

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/proposal-3d-printer-ultimaker-maintenance-upgrade/7457

And this:

1 Like

I’ve used the printers a lot during the past months, so I’m more than happy to contribute to buy the 2 spools.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Federico

2 Likes

Definitely agree that some sort of communal purchasing of filament would be a good idea, whether that be by pledge drive or from space funds etc.

I was looking into buying some black filament the other week and larger rolls seemed vastly better value, but also meant buying more filament than even the most wildly addicted 3d printing enthusiast could easily go through on their own.

If we had good low moisture storage it seems like buying big batches of filament as a group would be the way to go.

2 Likes

The holder is back in the printer.

I’ve done the new design : spool_holder_FF.zip (694.5 KB)

But I haven’t printed yet.
I will modify the previous design changing the width so it can accommodate larger spools.
@3dtechs

Thanks
Federico

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I’ll be in the space on tomorrow so can try print this at home overnight and bring in tomorrow evening.

The holder is only needed for the right spool, the original is correct for the left one.