Flashforge Dreamer - Spool holder

Just something to beware of when using the Flashforge Dreamer 3D printer. cc @3dtechs

I was printing something today and as the print head was moving round the wire knocked over the spool of filament pushing it under the print bed. The print failed as the bed could no longer move down on one side.

The spools are supposed to be secured in place but the spool holder that comes with the machine only works with certain spools. The spool that is currently in the machine isn’t one of the “supported” ones and so isn’t secured at all.

Here is a replacement spool holder that is designed to support a wider array of spools so I think we should look at replacing the standard one with something like this?

I’m not sure if anyone else has had this problem but it certainly looks like something that can happen easily!

1 Like

It happened to me few times too, I was thinking of designing a better holder for the spool and let the flashforge print its own pieces. @3dtechs?

Fed

1 Like

absolutely! go for it!

I like the design that James suggested. I can load that onto the I can load the files onto the SD card and someone can print it straight from there when they are in.

1 Like

Yup, it’s literally the worse spool holder

Its purposely built only for proprietary Flash Forge spools, we definitely need to replace it to support generic ones…

There are compatible spoiled, but yes

1 Like

The new spool holder is in the printer. I tested once, seems to work.

Let me know
Federico

6 Likes

Awesome, well done!

Awesome, thanks Federico!

This spool vs bed :zap: thing happened to me as well today. First time using this printer, I didn’t know about the spool holder. Filament was somehow tangled in a knot on its spool so the spool eventually got pulled under the bed.

Doing another print right now which seems to be going OK but @3dtechs may want to double-check bed levelling in case it got messed up.

Taken the liberty to add a warning label on the printer to remind people not to operate it without spool holders. Will also add this to the tool page.

If you can put it in the printer, the spool holder is on the 3d printers shelf ( assuming it fits the current filament)

Yes, I have installed it now and it seems to be working fine

The issue i found is that all the filaments have different widths or the hole in the center is wider than the holder… Zero standards…

Thanks for flagging. will have a look and see what we can come up with in terms of a universal fix.

How about 2 pieces? One being an adapter for a particular brand?

It might be the case that we can find something that has a modifiable diameter for different core diameters, like a series of cuffs. I will have a look and see what I can come up with.

First google shows its a common problem and found a solution for different sized spools on thingiverse. Will have a look and print a couple.

Also found a top feed solution if you take the lid off.

That’s the current holder but it means lots of different adapters based on the filaments we have on a given time… Maybe there is a width ( and lenght… Yes that’s different too) that fit most of them. Or qe can come up with a variable holder?