First woodworking project - Cheeseboard

Check this out:

Things I’d like help with in future:

• How do I make neat and consistent rounded corners? I’ve used the belt sander for corners and to flatten the board
  • Am I allowed to use the Planer thicknesser @woodtechs or does it require special permissions? It looks super easy according to youtube?
2 Likes

Hi David,

Neat corners can be achieved with a router - a woodtech would be happy to help with this.

The planer thicknesser should only be used with a woodtech - it’s actually a very dangerous tool, particularly older ones like ours.
The bigger problem you have here is that I beleive ours is still out of commission (another problem with having an older machine).

@Jonty_Bottomley may be able to give an update, as I’m not going to be down there for a couple of weeks I’m afraid.

I’m intrigued now. How dangerous? does it shoot chopping board violently at you?

Principle risk is loss of fingers/hands via planer blades. The thicknesser is safer but still has an entrapment risk… And yes, the planer can kickback and launch things at you if in extreme cases.

I appreciate YouTube makes it look simple, but it’s not the case!

Woodworking is a scary hobby! Worth it though!

1 Like

Which woods did you use for this? Looks great, my first wood projects weren’t (and still aren’t!) anything like as good as this :laughing:

Jonty gave me so off cuts. I believe the dark one is Wenge, white is maple and the rest is iroko

This looks great.

My first project will be similar - a chopping board! [insert cliche first-time woodworking project joke]

I’ve been watching a lot of Matt Estlea videos on YouTube, and this is one of his beginner projects https://www.mattestlea.com/post/make-a-chopping-board

That particular series has an introduction on chamfering which might work for your edges?