Fabric dyeing experiments

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49a9c1738>

Hey everyone

I’m planning to embark on fabric dyeing experiments. I’m starting easy: mixing different color union dyes (thinking Rit, less hassle less toxic) and hand dyeing small samples to build a library and understand how the colors behave (so I can create my own) and how the different variables affect the result (concentration, material, time, …)

Does anyone have any experience with fabric dyeing different mediums, dyes, techniques? Would love to pick your brains :slight_smile:

Worth the shot!

Merci

2 Likes

@Lauren was doing this just a couple of days ago at slms, might be able to share her expertise?

1 Like

I have some experience with the usual Rit dyes. Natural dyes like turmeric, onion skins, and avocado pits are all the rage right now, and they do make beautiful soft colors, but I haven’t personally gone through that process. I have used but not made my own indigo— which though natural, is quite toxic!

What I was doing at the space and am quite into at the moment is fabric paints that heat set. You can water them down and use them more like a dye, but they would still need heat setting for sure. I also got some inks, but haven’t used them just yet.

Been really into all this lately, so happy to talk more! I’ll be away this week, but back after the 14th!

3 Likes

MThank you @petra!

@Lauren that sounds awesome! I had painting on my mind too (apparently you can also paint with dyes and heat set ) I just wanted to start with dyeing because it seems like easier logistics and I like saturated colours and low contrast (so I wanna dye a background and paint something on top that is close in tone). Excited to bounce ideas when you’re back!!

1 Like

Last minute I know, but I’ll also be at the space today from around 2 or so! :heart:

1 Like

oooh I can’t make it today sadly but I’ll be there tomo !