Eurorack power supply

I finished my hand-built Eurorack power supply!¹

I don’t actually own any Eurorack modules yet. But that’s more likely to change now I have a power source for any I buy or build.

The core of the circuit is the MFOS wall wart rectifier design. Credit due to the late Ray Wilson. I’m using the power brick from an old Creative PC speaker system as the nominal ±12VAC input.

¹Well, in truth it’s not quite finished as I need to solder on every last one of those dang IDC connectors’ pins, and I’m waiting for some low melt point solder paste to arrive. Doing it with regular solder got things too hot and led to me melting the plastic shroud so pins end up moving and standing all unevenly. Lesson learned for next time.

5 Likes

Well done,

you got to start somewhere! :clap:

May I propose a slight change to your design, of course, unless you have a specific reason for this design.

Instead of having all the connectors on the perfboard, you could go with only one or two connectors and use a flying bus cable - saves you, with your current design, a ton of soldering.

Crimping your own cables also saves a lot of money. I got a big roll of ribbon cable, happy to give you some.

Thanks Mark. I guess when I conceived this idea (a long time ago, there’s often a gap of years between me having an idea to build something and actually doing it) I just preferred the idea of a rigid board that I could mount inside a case, and these huge pieces of stripboard I had were perfect for it.

I’ll definitely pick up an IDC crimper if I ever get any modules.