Engraving anodised aluminium?

Hi,
just completed the excellent Lazer induction with Martyn and have a question about metal.

I occasionally make equipment rack panels. Most of them have laminate overlays for txt dials etc… fixed to an aluminium panel.
i’d love to be able to etch/engrave(?) text and drilling guides on the lazer.

In the induction Martyn said to check here for the correct process or if it’s possible at all with the materials i use?

The panels are black anodised 6061.

thanks
Paul

1 Like

@lasertechs - Brendon will have a better idea :slight_smile:

You can do it!
The settings are likely lost, but I and @mikekelly engraved on aluminium amd settings should be under his name. If not, then might have to do a few passes to get it right. I remember is being fairly straight forward, we used settings we found and then iterated. Maybe Mike still has a snapshot of the settings?

Any anodised metal will do, it affects just a few microns down the surface. You can also get an anodising paste/spray that works a treat.

The job control settings are there as far as I could tell… @Jonathan had done some aluminium water bottles also IIRC

Awesome, I can always test it out on the back of a panel before going over the top.

Will wait to hear back from Brendon before having a go.

We bought this stuff a few years ago, I am guessing it is gone:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/pledge-drive-metal-laser-etching/12071

Jonathan had good results with Cermark spray:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/metal-laser-engraving-laquer-question/23259/12

https://www.csionline.co.uk/products/cermark-thermark-1085.html

Hope that helps…

1 Like

You definitely want to do some testing as I have found that consistency can be hit and miss across various pieces. The overall result will vary from a grey to white mark. I will check the settings on my local machine and get back with what I have but a test if definitely best.
Here is the result I have achieved in the past.

1 Like

Cermark is amazing! Very expensive but great stuff. The spray is easiest to apply and will work on stainless, titanium etc. mark with this product is grey to black depending on settings. The mark is very durable and hardwearing.
The image below is CO2 marked stainless steel using cermark spray.

2 Likes

That looks great!
Thanks all.

Cermark is way cheaper in the US:

https://www.cermarkusa.com/store#!/Spray/c/56296493

Might be a good pledge drive thing? I have someone that is coming in early Jan that has offered to bring small stuff…

Edit - can you check this in a suitcase? I dunno…

Thoughts?

Cheers,
Andy

If you don’t tell anyone at the airport I reckon, it was the import of alcohol based things that prevented us using standard shipping method. If you can pack a beer, you can pack this.

But since the last time we did this (thanks again,btw) the prices of this dropped in UK!

Laser bond had some good deals recently.

Cool, if we can get it locally for a good price that is easier!

wouldnt be allowed on a plane since its a pressurized can : (

however, you could use a forwarder like shipito (delivery goes from store to warehouse and then mailed out via mail service of your choice, pretty handy for goods that companies only offer US delivery for)

they might take the cans (depends on the company doing the shipping, iirc USPS has support for it) given an extra charge for the ‘hazardous’ materials

moot point since @petra found some in the UK, but may be worth keeping this method in mind incase we need some materials from the US in bulk (economy of scale makes forwarding in bulk cheaper than 1-off)

2 Likes

Last time I ordered a paste…no pressure!
It only needs diluting in IPA and voila.

…Just found a powder. I am struggling to find a reason why it wouldn’t work. Only thing is to find what wattage they work with.

Brilliance Laser Inks 50 Grams Black Metal Marking Powder with Foam Brush | Permanent Durable High Contrast Laser Marking Ink for Fiber, YAG, and CO2 Laser Engraver https://amzn.eu/d/7GZ6j8T

That company also has a cheap spray version?

hi Paul @mrclunk .

Really interesting to see this as the next thing on my project list is building enclosures (both rack mount and standalone). I was hoping to make some steps on this early in the new year, and hoping to get a bit of guidance from @metaltechs when someone has some availability e.g. for processing/working with the sheet metal. Very interested also in engraving for obvious reasons.

I’m wondering if you might be willing to team up/for me to tag along as you are working through this? Or perhaps just arrange to meet for a chat and I can learn from you about the process?

Hi Lewi,
happy to help.
I buy my enclosures from here and then make my own front panels. Reasonable prices and lots of sizes. They also sell all the parts and accessories.

I’ve looked into making my own cases but it’s a lot of hassle… But possibly in the future. One day i’d like to make a half rackish sized, portable case for my designs.

I’ll let you know when i’m down the space next or just msg me on here.

1 Like

That’s well within area fund/pledge drive (last time I couldn’t get it on laser card, so we all chipped in). I am happy to chip in £5 to try one of these.

Had a go yesterday, after a few trial runs adjusting the power and speed. It worked well.
I got an error msg on one of my tests, but turning the lazer off and on again seemed to fix it.

1 Like