Electronics Evening 9th Feb 2017

@Courty will you be coming down tonight? I would like to ask you some questions about a project that I’d like to start.

1 Like

I’ve got a powerful laptop that’s a few years old - works very nicely, but it gets alarmingly hot and has started to smell a bit burny :worried:. Fans run, and it’s pumping air from the vents - but I suspect something important is clogged with dust. I’m more software than hardware at the moment - anyone willing to help me disassemble a bit to locate the problem? I can bring in tonight as I’m coming to help with the heavy-lifting…

Yes to both !

I’ll be there tonight and happy to help.

@TomHedges The Laptop should be easy to identify the issue - don’t forget a lot of laptops have more than 1 fan + my Dells have solid copper heat pipes that take the heat away from the processor. if any of that slips/jams or breaks it will get a bit warm.

@rosszeibari - I’m intrigued, hopefully it involves high voltages, Lasers, Explosives or beer ? (or all 4) :smile:

Courty

1 Like

haha unfortunately none of the above, just electronic water valves.

1 Like

Running a bit late but will be there at some point asap, appols. :worried:

Courty

Sorry to miss you last night @Courty - I was on lathe moving until I had to disappear home. Thanks for the thoughts on laptop - perhaps we could take a look next week? I’ll be around the space a bit this weekend as well

1 Like

All a bit rushed as I was quite late yesterday so prob better to have another go next Thursday !

Courty

Sounds ridiculous but works every time: suck out whatever dust that is in there (with a vacuum cleaner’s narrow crevice tool if you have one) so you don’t end up forcing dust into places it shouldn’t be in (i.e. DVD laser assembly). Install and run coretemp to get an idea of how hot the CPU is getting then see if you can get the temperature down further by blowing the remaining dust out with a Poundland air duster or similar :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions Edd. I’ve tried the vacuum cleaner a couple of times, but will install coretemp and get an air duster - will let you know if that helps!

1 Like

I use vacum , a high pressure air line and a paint brush. works a treat .

1 Like