Electronics components: What is needed?

There was £65.65 in the honesty box which I’ve got at home with me now. I took a look at the draws and we still have most things, which is awesome, and i’m really pleased that this box has worked out. @electrotechs

It was pointed out that we could do with the following:

Superglue,
Dupont cables,
and some higher current switching transistors.

I also have more components which I had intended to donate originally but waited to see if the honesty box was viable after it’s rough start.

What else do we need?

YAY!

There are some polarised 3 way connector, male and female but I couldn’t find the contacts for the females, would be nice to have some.

What I found useful was having random chinese breakout boards , like level shifters, sensors , perhaps some cheap small displays (IMHO :wink: )

1 Like

We also don’t really have a functioning soldering iron at the moment - one of the Hakkos doesn’t have a tip, and the other doesn’t seem to heat up to temperature (even if set to 400+ degrees).

1 Like

That should be funded direct by SLMS really.

Yes, if someone researches something suitable, we will look into purchasing.

We already had this conversation, this issue is that they need some replacement parts, not that we need new soldering irons.

The same applies :slight_smile:

@Courty?

?? I fixed up and cleaned 2 irons 2 weeks ago and the 3rd needed a part. What are people doing to them ???

I’ve got an antex and a weller that are >15 years old and I’ve only ever swapped out the bits.

I’ll be in Thursday and will have another look. Are we really at the point of needing timer and fob controlled soldering irons :frowning:

Courty

1 Like

Great!!

General:

• New hot glue gun?
  • solder
  • insulating tape
  • X-ray specs

Stuff for bread board and testing:

• buzzer
  • wires with croc clips
  • light
  • mini speaker

Stuff for beginners electronics:

• stuff to demo how components can be used and what they do in simple practice terms: diode / potentiometer / resistor / light / buzzer / blah blah

Can you get some crimp connectors please?
I brought a box of them like 2 months ago and its gone already.

3 working soldering irons again, please treat them nicely :smile:

Will order more solder.

Courty

4 Likes

@petra, what sort of crimps/ what size ?

Courty

Thought we had a new glue gun. Is it not working then ? Can get new if needed

Courty

There is a large and a small one in the shallow drawers (without pulls) in the electronics area. I think there is another large one somewhere as well…

3 Likes

Thought I had seen one ! Thanks

Courty

um. 6 (6.3?)mm spade female terminals actually.

We could also do with some small diameter heat shrink tubing, like 2-5mm dia.

@unknowndomain donated some small stuff- might only be up to 2mm not sure- its in a bag next to the desolder station (which is where there was already some assorted…

sounds great! we could do with buying this by the roll though, I would guess?