Edge-Grain Table

I built a table recently in the space and thought I should probably share some images here since a few people were watching me make it over the past few weeks!

It’s beech hardwood and approximately 75cm wide x 40cm deep x 91cm tall. There are two small shelves, cut from 10mm thick white perspex (off-cuts available from a recent project at my studio). The tabletop is made from 17 pieces beech and edge laminated together. The legs and beams are also made from beech, jointed via dowels for stability. Shout-out to @joeatkin2 for the good call of using the motiser next time to make some beautiful mortise and tenon shelves.

It’s was then finished with 2 coats of mineral oil and the top was coated with a 4-to-1 mixture of mineral oil and beeswax (food grade and ideal for chopping boards!). Took a few weeks to make, because of delays and getting distracted, but all in all a pretty simple piece of woodworking.

Pro-tip for anyone making an edge-grain or end-grain tabletop, make sure to make the piece less than the width of the planar/thicknesser. My piece didn’t take this into consideration and was about 5cm too wide to safely run through the machine. If I did it again I’d either build the top in two pieces, plane it, then glue it together, or alternatively I’d just adjust the design to work with our equipment. As a result, it ended up taking about 3-4 hours of meticulous planing and sanding to get the tabletop perfectly flat.

11 Likes

Nice clean look; I like it :slight_smile:

Great job ! Looks really good.

I’ll be trying out machined mortise and tenon joints soon hopefully.
The mortiser works really great but we have yet to find the most practical solution to machine tenons quickly and precisely. Although I might have an ace up my sleeve …

Indeed the maximum capacity of the planer is about 27cm. Make two halves and hand plane/scrape the middle after gluing if you want to go bigger.

Hey, have you tried using a spindle moulder/table router for the tenons? If you have a fair amount to do at the same size it can be worth the set up time. If not then making the cheek cuts on a band saw using a fence can save some time.

@lewisss - time for your pantorouter to shine :wink:

lets say it was sold to us with the morticing machine for a good reason!

Success! Nice and snug.
These are done on the spindle moulder and mortiser. Seems like the best combination for doing this.

7 Likes

Looks really great!

Looks very neat!