Drawer system for car

Hey all,

I’m getting ready to embark on a new project - some drawers for the back of my car. I’d love some advice from people who’ve built something similar.

The key constraints are:

• fridge and water tank - we already have a 12v fridge and water tank that everything else will build around
  • tough - the plan is to go 4 wheel driving so it’s got to survive rough corrugated roads that will shake everything to death and any twisting from the body of the car that might happen. Obviously this will need to be balanced with cost and weight

My thinking so far:

What the back of the car looks like:

My current thinking is to start with a good platform. I’ve got rid of the carpet and my plan was to lay some insulation then add 18mm ply cut to the shape on the floor. The fridge is on a drawer slide and will also connect to that. The drawer box is where I’m uncertain, 18mm ply was my original thinking but also toying with the idea of a steel frame. Or there another option I should be thinking about?

I think some parts need to have give/play so in the case of twisting it can move instead of breaking. My current plan is to oversize holes in the ply when attaching it to the floor so it can move. Make the box as rigid as possible, but again oversize the holes where it attaches to the ply. The add threadlock and spring washers to try to remove any possible rattling. Does this sound sufficient? Or is this approach totally off?

1 Like

I currently have a drawer system in the back of my pickup truck.
It’s for sale - you don’t want to buy it, but here’s the listing so that you can see the photos.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276300667247
If you want to have a look at it in person, to get some ideas, I’ll be at electronics night on Thursday.

I can be in Thursday night. I would definitely like to check them out.

1 Like

No trouble, I’ll be there

Basic box has been built. It took a bit of finesse with a jigsaw and router to get the base fitting. The track saw and domino induction a few weeks ago made the box building an absolute dream!

The original plan had been to extend the box top over the water tank and to the side of the car. Then with the rear seat folded down it can become a bed. I’ve since changed my mind and I’ll lower the box my 20mm or so to make it inline with the top of the water tank instead.

Todo:

• Permanently attach it all together, currently it’s just a friction fit with dominos (hence the stretcher still at the bottom of the box). I’d still like the box to be removable for now, but I’d really like to not lose 19mm of useable drawer space
  • Cut a piece to contour to the side of the car and I’ll attach that with a piano hinge so the space underneath is still accessible (and it will need support as well
  • fasten the fridge to the base - the slide came with wood inserts, but I might use tee nuts from underneath instead
  • Build a drawer. Original plan had been to get some extra heavy duty 100% extension slides, but I’m toying with the idea of just using thin sheets of HDPE to reduce friction and rest it on the tailgate.

7 Likes

Looking good!