Dowel maker jig first results

Just made a first test of the diy dowel making plate. You tap a small piece of wood through smaller and smaller holes in the plate until you get a round dowel. Still needs finishing but with it you can make dowels out of any wood in a range of sizes.

@take.i @lewisss

11 Likes

Many thanks - perfect for my plant holders!

Ideally to finish it i’d need metal drill bits in sizes 10-14 or higher in .5 increments. Anyone got any?

Sorry for my ignorance. Does the plate shave the wood down to the size/shape of the hole as you hammer it through?

Would it work if you were to connect your blank to a drill and feed through the hole as well?

Yes!

You don’t really need to, a wooden mallet works well, the finish is pretty smooth

Nice one! I’ve found that straight grained wood will save you a lot of hassle if you can - the mallets aren’t so discerning on direction so if the grain isn’t straight then sometimes your dowels come out a bit wonky.

I have a few but you’re going to struggle to get a really round hole in sheet that thin compared to the size of the drill.

Really you need a reamer (that I don’t have) to get them really round

They are round enough for woodwork! And will match a hole drilled with a similar bit. The larger sizes are mainly for starting out and taking off the square corners anyway

Nice one! Is it a personal one or does it live in the space?