Donation Drive for Dominica

Evening all,

You may or may not be aware of the devastation that has hit Dominica Rebulic following hurricane Maria, the worst hurricane to hit the island in 80years.

The hospital and a community center both lost roofs. One of two airports serving the country is inoperable while the other is expected to be operational in the coming days. An estimated 95 per cent of the roofs were blown off in some towns, including Mahaut and Portsmouth.

There are at least nine communities that no one has any information about because they’re cut off and most communications are down in the country.

A donation drive has been running for the past week with the last day being tomorrow before containers get shipped out to Dominica to support those affected by the hurricane.

I wanted to check if there were any objections to donating a small proportion of the surplus wood that is piled up by the wood bin in the wood shop? I know the surplus wood that was by the door has mostly been thrown away. Does anyone know if any of the wood in the snug without names is free for anyone to use?

file:///home/chanelle/Downloads/20170923_194849.jpg

In addition to construction equipment, they need help with communication equipment such as handheld radios and satellite phones. Health supplies such as first aid kits, general medical supplies & mosquito equipment. Other useful needs include tarpaulins, flashlights, and batteries. If you have any of the above you can help with donating I’m here tomorrow for most of the afternoon if you wanted to drop anything off for assistance.

Many thanks

Chanelle

2 Likes

I will bring some stuff down tomorrow

I have some bits but won’t get to the space till 5, too late?

Amazing thank you - trying to organise the high commission yo collect
tomorrow if not very early next week for the next shipment.

Oh cool. No that will be fine I can organise a separate collection if needs be.

It’s Sunday can drive it down.
But I don’t think our off cuts will be much use .

Why don’t we try and find some higher value stuff

Why don’t you talk to Andy he has plies of better stuff and a van

Hey Chanelle, I’m travelling away on holiday early tomorrow, or else would have come to help and donate a few bits. Good on you for helping to organise some practical assistance for those in need.

1 Like

I don’t want to put anyone out or impose on people it’s simply if you have something that could be of assistance and I figured as there was a load of wood that was building up or getting in the way perfect use for it could be this

I’m not sure I know who Andy is.

I will phone him tomorrow,
It seems like a waste of space to send off cuts when we can send something mor useful

ok - that would be super cool and well appreciated!

Just wanted to recite something I heard a business expert say on BBC after the other hurricane.

He said it wasn’t a good idea for foreign aid to be arriving in the form of building materials as there are local hardware companies who will be missing out on supplying such items, which will hit the local economies even more than they already are. Basically said the best way for the affected regions to recover is to get the economy moving. Foreign aid should fund local companies to rebuild damaged areas, pouring funds into local businesses and giving people there some way of earning money to spend whilst rebuilding their communities.

Again, just regurgitating what I heard. Not my own personal view, just something to think about.

2 Likes