Do we have z-axis clamps for the mini cnc?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa49925c0e8>

Like these adjustable toggle clamps from isel.

I had some issues today with my piece jumping out of its clamps from being pulled upwards, and due to my stock size it was quite difficult to get the existing clamps + shims to get a good grip on my piece.

https://www.techno-isel.com/lmc/products/Ext_Accessories/AdjToggleClamp.htm

thumb

In the back here:

Maybe we could 3D print some. Would also be good to have something like that for the big CNC - I ended up janking something with washers to hold a piece down. That would be a welcome addition.

3d printing is an interesting option. Doesn’t have to be very complicated / sophisticated as the upwards lift power on the z-axis is afaik not as strong as against the x&y-axis.

Also the less metal in the area the better.

If you’re not into printing a couple of clamps you could always go for double sided sticking tape. (Please clean any residue on the bed afterwards though.)

Isel got back to me and each of their little toggle clamps is quoted at about £15.

So yeah I think the 3D printed version is a great idea because we can make a bunch of them using this design and keep them by the cnc alongside some M6 screws and M6 T-slot nuts.

The only 3D printer I was inducted on in the space is no longer there but I can throw the STLs together and ask someone else to print.

Doesn’t have to be very complicated / sophisticated as the upwards lift power on the z-axis is afaik not as strong as against the x&y-axis.

Yeah for sure. I think my issue actually was that I was cutting stock 30mm thick and the clamps we have clamp right at the base of the stock. So the x/y-axis pressure translated to z-axis pressure as the piece attempted to pivot over the clamp.

I’d be happy to do that.

2 Likes

I didn’t have time to finalise clamps for the big CNC and the ABS I ordered didn’t arrive in time, but Sam let me have some. I got to do 6 clamps for the mini CNC using the STEP file Carlo provided. I put them in the CNC techs cupboard under the Isel CNC. They seem strong enough.

I’ll be back in next week and can print clamps for the big CNC then.

3 Likes

Incredible. I have to widen some holes on the stuff I cut recently, so I’ll test them out.

I think these need some M6 T-slot nuts and some accompanying m6 hex bolts of varying length. Is that something we have spares of around the space or should I order some for the mini cnc?

Have a look by the PC for the big CNC. I wasn’t sure what t nuts etc. to use with those.

1 Like

If they aren’t right I can reprint a modified STEP - it’s only a few grams of ABS. The slot seems ok, but it seems the hole is a bit small, but I just printed per that file. Let me know if that needs adjusting.

It’s also possible to melt in e.g. an M6 insert (there are some in a box above the chopsaw in the woodworking area).