Discourse mobile notifications! (Chrome only)

You need to be on version 50 or higher. Follow these steps on your phone

• Go to your discourse settings page and scroll to the bottom.
  • Enable push notifications.
  • You’re done!

You should now get notifications regardless of whether you’re currently on the site in your browser. There is no support for mobile Safari (blame Apple).

Let me know if it doesn’t work for you.

1 Like

I can’t find any push notification setting on chrome for Android… Could you put a screenshot or something?

Its in discourse settings. Tap your profile pic then the gears. Its near the bottom.

Just done it.

Maybe that justifies the chat section again? As the lack of realtime interaction really made it pointless before…

Oh ok, i thought that were the settings of chrome… Done Now!

Pretty poor support for this on iOS though (where chrome is just rebadged safari), which is a shame.

Yeah it’s a shame :frowning: Blame Apple for not implementing Service Workers (the web tech that this depends on)

Chrome is actually not Safari, it uses WebView which is a crapper version of Safari’s rendering engine, so on iOS the best performance is from the Safari app.

I think Apple hasn’t and won’t implement this because it would drain battery, push notifications would be better.

WKWebView has had Nitro JIT for JavaScript for a while now, no?

As for service workers, that’s a whole other story.

Tried this again today.

And it now works! I think it needed a Chrome update or two, perhaps?

Let’s see how long before it drives me nuts…

Reviving this as I’ve had issues getting notifications to work. Chrome is up to date on my android but nothing comes through… Help!