Discourse CSS Updated

I’ve been working on the CSS for the forum to match the new typeface we’re using on the new website, and also to hopefully tidy up a few ends.

It was basically a rewrite of the CSS hacks we use to get it looking like this, so if there are glitches, or omissions please post here.

After a bit of back and forth in trustees back channels, we’ve reverted most of the styling to Discourse default. This removes all the buggy behaviour in the old style, reintroduces “reply as linked topic” and prepares us better for the more substantial layout changes coming in Discourse 1.6

Looking good @trustees

1 Like

Ach, shame (on discourse, not your efforts).

@thisislawatts – context is here. Each post being ‘boxed’ with metadata rather than a single clean column for reading is poor user experience, at least to me. For a contrast, look at slack.

In return, we get the list of internal links, and “Reply as linked topic” back in the RH gutter. Both were broken in the old style and were therefore turned off.

We might revisit the metadata issue in the future, but it’s rather tricky to implement, if you examine the underlying structure of the layout.

The CSS heroics @tomnewsom had been doing are just brittle work arounds for underlying HTML structure not lending itself to such a composition.

The lightest touch, and least likely to be affected by rolling updates from Discourse would be to set the meta opacity as 0 hovered. Though this would not work on touch devices…

Yes, both. I respect the work and the conclusion. We’ve all got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

Credit to Tom L too, please :smile: I’m not alone here