Decorative wood patterned coffee table

Might be a bit short for the big planer.

What are my options then? I took off a few mm thick raised strips on a piece of walnut by hand, which was pretty hard work. I shudder to think how much elbow grease (and wear on the blade!) It’d take to reduce the ipe by 2mm across the whole piece!

Small planer

Or carefully thought trough gig maybe

Over head router is the way to go

Bog oak? It’s there for you. It’s 5,000 years and is beautiful beyond

1 Like

Oooo, there’s the calipers :hugs:

Coming along nicely

Cheers to Joe for his help with setting up the table saw!

3 Likes

Beautiful!
Bog Oak too?

Unfortunately not. Getting two pieces the right size out of it would have meant destroying the whole thing. Didn’t want to be so wasteful!

But of course you will have to chop it up in whatever way you need to, to get the size and pieces you like. 100% happy for you to do this. Otherwise it’s just an ornament…

The source blocks have been glued. A little sanding/planing still needed before i take slices, but i couldn’t help myself and tidied up one end.

I am excited now

5 Likes

Cos I’m taking every last mm from these blocks, i have to add on a straight edge to hold against the chop saw fence.

Now get the stop set up just right. 6mm intervals gives ~3mm slices.

Cutx23

Tah Dah!

TAH DAH!!

(Now repeat for the other block)

16 Likes

Looking pretty good!

1 Like

I just popped in to slice up the other block. But I must have nudged the stop, cos loads of these slices are too fat, and i have 1 too few of them! :laughing:

So i will carefully dismember one the spares from the other block to make a replacement. But how to cope with the difference in thickness? It’s quite severe. I fear agressively sanding them would break them, as would planing. I could route out “dishes” in the ply for them to sit in!

Could you assemble them face down instead and then fill the gap between the ply with something?

Smart thinking! Yes I probably could.
The expanding wood glue would probably do the trick actually.

Thinking this might actually be more attractive…

7 Likes

That is starting to look a bit like Escher :wink:

4 Likes

It was tempting, but I’m definitely going with the original design

Some of the oak pieces are darkened at the ends. I think this is due to the saw blade smearing dust/oils from the neighbouring darker wood while I was chopping slices. Hopefully it will sand out.

1 Like

It is probably a reaction between the tannin in the Oak and any iron it has come into contact with. Oak is very very rich in tannin and it goes black when it reacts with iron. I would sand sooner rather than later if you think it might be contaminated oils so that they don’t have time to soak in.

1 Like