Cutting aluminum round bar

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fa4957966c0>

I’m looking to make a handful of coin blanks out of 45mm aluminum round, cutting them 4mm thick.

I’ve never cut metal before outside the mini CNC. Do we have metal saws in the space and is there an induction requirement beyond the woodshop fundamentals?

@metaltechs

sounds like a job for the giant bandsaw

One in the woodshop? :joy:

@carb How many? How good the finish should be on those? My understanding is usually that would be pressed out sheet metal, however we don’t have a working press and you have a round bar. If you need it smooth, that’s for metal lathe, if not metal bandsaw is your best option. Both require an induction. Hacksaws don’t, but making more than 1-2 cuts will take forever.

The metal lathe has quite a wide kerf (3mm or more I’d guess). Metal bandsaw would have much less wastage I believe. The finish being better on the lathe might not matter so much if these blanks are going to be machined on the CNC.

I haven’t purchased the bar yet, so I’m flexible with other options.

Yeah these will be faced off and engraved on the cnc, so the cuts can be ugly. :slight_smile:

I’ll check out the requirements for the metal bandsaw.

This isn’t an uncommon thing, so i can also buy these coin blanks, but the price is obviously a lot higher. My current need is like, six coins, so it might be fine, but in the future I’ll need something more scalable.

Is this the metal bandsw? Rusch HBS 250 Horizontal Bandsaw

I presume inductions are ad-hoc given I dont see an induction page. @metaltechs do you have a preferred way for requesting+scheduling one?

1 Like

I’ll be there tomorrow, or let’s just agree on the day. It’s a 15 minute talk. You would need someone with welding permissions to use it unfortunately cause now it shares tool control channel…

I’m flexible next week after Sunday, do you have any plans to go in then?

Good shout on the welding tool control req. I’ll sign up for that induction too so I have easier access to the rest of the metal tools in the future!