Creation of Wood Workshop Induction Guidelines

Hi everyone,

So on Saturday 4th February a few Makerspace peeps got together to help document and formalise the wood workshop induction process. @joeatkin2 has given us the task to create some guidelines for current and future woodshop inductors based off of our experience and his own key points of the induction, mainly focused around general / tool safety and usage.

I will soon put a link to a Google document where people present at the trial induction can contribute to writing out a suitable induction process document.

Here it is: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QHBrN0Zfkbxdxy4_Rr3eYVTJRq6fVWQ20xONG3baxYI/edit?usp=drivesdk

6 Likes

Thanks for getting this set up, Kai. Will have a look through tomorrow and then maybe sometime in the next few days once we’ve all added our notes we can each decide on 1-2 categories to sort out in detail?

Thanks again @joeatkin2 for running this

2 Likes

Thanks Kai. I’ll try to decipher and add my notes tomorrow or Monday. Do we “inductees” think we could all get our collective writing up of notes done this week, and then meet up next weekend to discuss, tidy up, insert extra images, etc.? I suspect we could probably make a lot of progress talking/doing in the space, but would take longer via Discourse.
Then we could leave our documents with the inductors to review? (Enormous thanks to Joe, Stefano and Rob)
Open to other ideas/timescales…

2 Likes

Whatever gets us to regular induction sessions fastest.

1 Like

New motivated blood seems to be the way ahead, I will do my best to support the group and if the directors could create the new tech roles it would help speed things up.

IMO Support techs, induction techs, registered inductors, whatever the heck you want to call them; they should be appointed by the techs.

Make a category to put them in?

Support tech works.

ok, send us a list of names and we’ll set up a @group

1 Like

Ok on it

Just an update that I’ve now got a long-guide drafted in Kai’s original document

So will be looking to get this tidied up and cut down into suitable shape for inductees!