Connecting HP 600 printer/plotter

I would like to reinstate the HP 600 into general use.

Since the printer and the vinyl cutter both speak variants of HPGL, software developed for the one could be used for the other.

The main difficulty is the computer interface. You can drive the vinyl cutter via a usb interface but the HP 600 needs a Centronics or RS232 interface, both of which are semi obsolete.

Whilst the printer has provision for an internal JetDirect 400n internet card, a google search shows these to be as rare as hen’s teeth and pricey.

An alternative is to use an external JetDirect ethernet to centronics box.

I have a surplus to requirements JetDirect170x which is compatible with the printer which the space can have.

2 Likes

First off, thanks for taking this on!
This printer came from my workplace so I’m glad to see it live on :slight_smile:

We previously had it hooked up to a windows XP machine, as there are decent drivers for it. This is probably still the quickest way to get it working in a useful manner.

FYI the plotter is broken, it has an issue with it’s pen path not being clear.

I’ve found the service manual for the colour version of this machine, if that’s any help…

http://www.lbrty.com/tech/Manuals_DN/DN_650Csm.pdf

I have found a bit on a forum which purports to be an extract from the HP service manual
HP C2847A/C2848A Drafting Plotters Service Manual

Will try it when next in!

2 Likes

Would be great to print A1 stencils, I found cartridge refiller kits, and 610mm x 45" rolls of tracing paper for £10

Here’s is my shopping lis so far - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12USsw9peydNcdC3VeW0IHstrHpHfKYN59Nr0WctPizc/edit?usp=sharing

Trying to decide the best approach about screens - it costs as much to get them re-stretched as it does to buy them new (about £30 + postage for an A1 frame). Options are

• Members buy / pay for their own frames / re-stretching
  • The space buys an initial set of frames and members interested pay for re-stretching
  • The space pays for frames and budgets to get them all re-stretched every n months (3 or 6 or so)
  • The space buys an initial set of frames and we make our own re-stretching machine to re-stretch them ourselves.

Leaning toward option 2 atm. The DIY re-stretching device would b most sustainable, can be long term goal. You can patch and repair small tares, gets you a fair way, we just need to se how it goes.

1 Like

Have made some progress! Now at stage where it demands new cartridges.

I have ordered some using @pip amazon link. Should be here beginning next week.

2 Likes

that sounds like a better space than it was last time I fiddled with it. Is there any value in obtaining the correct jet-direct card for it?

One of the ‘correct’ cards is a JetDirect 170x.

I offered one a fortnight ago, but there was little enthusiasm for it!

The offers still open.

Sounds good to me! I’m all pro it.

I suppose the question is, is there a more sensible cups or windows driver for the jet direct card, that would make the machine more generally useful? Currently it irritatingly needs a parallel port on whatever machine is attached, and at that XP.

My googling suggested the JetDirect 170x is a print server with ethernet and parallel port, wrong thing?

Manual : HPDirect170x.pdf (2.6 MB)

Are you sure that’s the right jetdirect?

The printer itself has an internal slot which takes one of the following models:

J2550A J2552A

The HP documentation for the 600 describes 3 ways to connect

RS232 interface
Centronics interface (parallel port)
and via aJetDirect.

The JetDirect can either be an internal card or an external JetDirect device.
The 170x is one of the external devices they specify.

You connect the 170x to the 600 using a centronics cable. And a RJ45 to our internal net.

I intend to test the 600 when the new cartridges arrive with the 170x, a centronics cable and a cross-over cat cable attached to my lappy.

Well you need to send HPGL to the plotter.

The easiest way to generate that is to pipe your input thru inkscape to create an hpgl file.

I forgot all I knew about Microsoft 10 years ago when people stopped paying me money to suffer it, but under linux the normal way would be to set up a raw queue in CUPS and send that to the JetDirect.

Or just use a Windows XP machine with the official HP driver. If we get ethernet working, then the parallel port requirement goes away.

As horrible as XP is, it’s still more friendly than speaking raw hpgl

I have an XP installation CD and valid serial no. right here…

This isn’t easy enough for the average computer user, we need to find a way to make this better for all even if thats a VM running XP that reverts to factory settings when you reboot or something?

Does anybody know what’s involved in printing over the network to a JetDirect box? Using my own laptop sounds easier than wrangling with XP.

JetDirect is just a fancy name for a print server, it probably has a web interface and it will just be a network LPD or IPP printer.

Update on getting positives printed for photo exposure other than using laser paper and veg oil:

Tony Braithwaite:

South of the river is not my backyard unfortunately. So a bit thin on
recommendations of ‘Posi’ bureau’s?

Believe it or not we have the same problem at LCC, as our students
can only get laser film photocopies up to A3, which cost’s them £1 each.

So we send them far afield to get anything bigger.

The cheapest place is ‘Service Point’. They are a chain of bureau’s, but
only some will print out onto lazer film or equivalent drafting film.
(Covent garden or Camden).

However, i can recommend an industry standard company that i use
regularly called ‘Hexio’ that are just up the old kent rd. Proper film
positive’s and the like.

Chris Radcliffe:

How many positives and how often do you need them? I can do them for you, but as I’m not in the studio every day, I might just need a few days notice, but I would always try my best to get them done as quick as possible for you.

Web interface? Not with this vintage hardware :smiley:

You create an IP printer port and use that as the destination when installing the print driver. I’ve done this plenty of times when this printer’s big brother was in heavy use at my office.