Computer Purge

@members There are a number of computers in the Makerspace that have collected over time.

It would be great if we could find a couple of volunteers to catalogue all of them, including what specification/manufacturer they are and their condition status, as well as an assessment of whether they are worth keeping.

What we do need:

• A Windows computer for the laser cutter
  • A general purpose computer for the clean room
  • Possibly a general purpose machine on each electronics bench

There are off the top of my head:

• 4x Dell Optiplex 330s
  • 5x HP machines from a Hotel
  • 2x Packard Bell laptops (probably not of much use)
  • 1x Frankenputer
  • 1x Serverrack brand machine (Laser Cutter)
  • 1x iMac (needs repair)
  • 1x HP Server (@dermots)

Additionally there are a random collection of monitors which should be audited and considered for their value, and some testing to see if the DVD monitor is actually the graphics card killer it has been alleged to be.

Tomorrow I’ll be more than happy to sort out a little the electronic benches and set a pc! I was thinking to put it on the little table in the empty spot between the electric distro board and the benches but if you want I can put it next to the printer!

Maybe. The original idea was a bench against the wall to messy and dusty

There’s an Eizo monitor that I brought in for the space still on the tables (as requested by tom N). Please give me a heads up if its not needed, someone else might want it.

@members, following a few hours work we now have some progress.

All of the Dell Optiplex 330 machines now have an OS and are setup, this means you can get onto the internet and use inkscape in the clean room, as well as print, although I forgot to setup the printer on the computer, they are both networked.

• SLMS 01
    General purpose machine in clean room
  • SLMS 02
    Electronics bench?
  • SLMS 03
    Electronics bench?
  • SLMS 04
    Spare, Messy?
  • SLMS 05
    Laser Computer

That still leaves:

• 5x HP machines from a hotel
  • 2x Packard Bells
  • 1x IBM Thinkpad
  • 1x iMac
  • Dermot’s HP Server

I couldn’t find the HP machines from the hotel, hoping they’re behind the big wood pile that needs clearing yet.

I’ll have a go at the iMac, but I suspect it’s beyond repair, and it’s fairly old.

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/t/makerspace-computers/2439/1

2 Likes

Yeah the iMac needs a new video card (there was a recall of this model). Having a Mac of some kind in the space would be nice, but it might end up being cheaper to get a Mini.

We would defo like one on the Electronics bench / dedicated to Electronics as there’s a bunch of things I would like to put on it.

Off the top of my head…

1. Arduino IDE and Libraries + Adruino ESP8266 and SAM ARM addins
  2. PIC IDE / Loaders
  3. Logic Analyser Software (We bought the HW already)
  4. Eagle CAD for PCB Design, (I would also like to run a couple of sessions on this as i’ve been asked a couple of times - PC needs to be able to connect to the projector))
  5. SW for the Protocol Pirate
  6. NODE MCU for native ESP8266 programming
  7. ATMEGA Fuse burner and HEX loader - Cant remember the name but I have a copy at home
  8. Win Disk Imager (for making bootable SD Cards for PI etc)
  9. Doesn’t the new Scope have some capture software ?

Courty

1 Like

Great work!!

Update

• 4x Dell Optiplex 330s (SLMS 01-04)
  • 5x HP machines from a Hotel (Only found 4 needs investigation)
  • 2x Packard Bell laptops (found one without keyboard, has been destroyed for parts)
  • 1x Frankenputer (Lost in space, presumed destructed)
  • 1x Serverrack brand machine (obliterated, parts salvaged)
  • 1x iMac (working but graphics keeps going borked, will investigate else dispose of)
  • 1x HP Server (on top of toilet until @dermot can collect)
  • 1x Dell Precision T5400 (SLMS 05 - Laser cutter 3.0 machine)
  • 1x IBM Thinkpad T42 (SLMS 06) Running Ubuntu, slowly graphics driver needed
  • 1x Compaq Evo N410c (No charger, unknown owner, if it is yours please collect)

@members if this is your computer and you want it back, please inform us immediately:

That laptop should be job’s (is it? @joeatkin2 )

No thats the HP, he rescued this evening.

1 Like

Looks like the iMac’s graphic card is definitely faulty as per what we were told, it’s repairable, eBay parts look to be about £200.

@peter_hellyer made the point it would be great to have a iMac for the Canon printer. It’s a decent ish machine, can run the latest OS just fine, but it needs a new graphics adapter, which is a complex repair.

I would happily take this on and give it a go, with a bit of moral support during the repair, but do we want to spend the money and try to fix it.

I’ve taken this model apart before but never removed the logic board, which is more major so it’s a big job.

If you’re happy to take this on it would be nice to have an imac in the space for people to use +1 to spend the money on the graphics card, probably if it goes wrong we can sell some / all of it get some monehs back. Worth the risk overall I think.

Technically the machine belongs to Apple but they abandoned it, all I mean is that it’s not really serviceable by Apple, they will refuse to touch it.

So we couldn’t sell it? Was estimating that if the repair doesn’t work we resell the graphics card on ebay, and the machine for spare/repairs, or not - but if they abandoned it then maybe we can. I’ll leave my +1 in there and let you manage it.

Yea, totally.

I just mean would you buy a computer that Apple wouldn’t repair if it broke down?

Let’s repair. The resale value on this machine is probably in excess of the cost of the logic board, and for whatever you can say about apple, iMacs retain usefulness over time.

I found and scrapped Frankenputer today, it’s remains are now in boxes in the social area.

The remaining machines are untouched, please do not scrap them tomorrow.

A friend of mines daughter needs a basic PC after her laptop was stolen, and there’s no budget to replace it.

Is there a Windows PC available? I’m happy to make a donation for it, if need be.

I haven’t had a chance to look into the condition of the machines, I would suggest asking Fab Lab as they had loads before.