Coffee table

Very nice.

1 Like

What a gorgeous table. Mid century vibes :star_struck:

1 Like

bonus pics

the tabletop had a really cool curly pattern in it, looked incredible up close with finish

and here’s max reporting his bandsaw bite

5 Likes

Beautiful work. Do those blocks sitting in grooves allow the top to move a little?

1 Like

I didn’t bother with allowing for movement of the oak top on this cabinet and it quickly became S shaped.

1 Like

That’s the idea. Rather than screwing/gluing across the grain, the clamps can be loosened up

I am impressed Max! What a gorgeous coffee table! Nice job.

1 Like

wow, super impressive stuff!

1 Like

Love the design. Beautifully made. Really enjoyable to read and see the evolution of this.

1 Like

Excellent work again !

1 Like

Impressive Max!

1 Like

Thanks everyone!

super beautiful work!

When are you making one for your parents? Asking for a friend.

4 Likes

Your work and explanation are superb. When I get to my coffee table build, your will be a great reference project.

Small addition to this project! I made these trays/coasters for the table. Material is ash, they’re made with the CNC and router table:

4 Likes

Very nice. Why did you need the router table as well as the CNC? What is the dark area in the corner of the smaller piece?

Boards weren’t much wider than the final product, so if I were to cut all the way down through the material leaving tabs as you’d normally do, I’d be cutting into the clamps. Instead I cut down to a few mm above the clamps, rough cut on the bandsaw, then used a trim bit on the router table to make the sides flush. Similarly if I were to do the chamfer on the bottom on the CNC, I’d have had to flip my piece, which would take some calculation and extra effort, so I just used a chamfer bit and the router table again.

The brown bit is a patch I did as I had some tear out.

3 Likes

I was admiring the smaller of the two on Thursday when you’d left it to stain. I love the grain and in particular the darker inserts. They really give it character and contrast.

1 Like

Hi Max,

We are starting to look at our content inclusion for the Dulwich festival Maker fair we have a “Don’t be Shy! submit your Make” event happening on Friday. Would this be of any interest to you maybe and/or do you know anyone else I can reach out too? In your case as you might already have some high resolution photos, if you want to submit for inclusion and don’t want to bring it in you can say you already have photos.

Cheers
Dorine