CNC Tooling

I want to make me a hot iron with my logo and name… Gots to be tiny to brand the smallest things I make…

2 Likes

Hi @CNCers!

Tooling is arriving! Still need to sort through and update the tool table / VCarve but here’s a sneak peek!

7 Likes

Whoop whoop!
I think I’m free tomorrow night, shall we update the library?

1 Like

Ya! I will pop in tonight as well - but will take more than one evening to do everything! So lets do that!

1 Like

Just seen it in the calendar. We got friends around (so no can do tonight), but I think they leave tomorrow

2 Likes

SO EXCITINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG look at those bigboys!

This week is a no go for me, but I’ll definitely schedule in a night next week to do whatever!

What’s the paln to share bits between the two CNCs? I guess that might not be as much of an issue when we move to arch2? If we’re moving to arch2?

did we order a facing bit?

Not yet, we need one!

1 Like

Hi all,
I just did some maintenance on the cnc and added a few new tools.
T24 is now a 6mm 1Fl tool
T14 is 4mm 1Fl
However I’m not yet uploading the database until someone with more experience approves it.
I kept an eye on the chip load and it worked nicely on a test.

I tried to add a 2mm, but we don’t have a fitting collet for it. (Need 3.175)

I also noticed that the tools 8 and 13 don’t seem to be what they should.
I’m leaving those where and how they are atm. Maybe you can advise me what to do.

So long…
Clem

1 Like

Nice work!

3.175mm is 1/8" :slight_smile:

Andy mentioned you were taking a look at the datasheets to target the correct chip load. Can you add them here? We probably need a better solution for references in the future.

Andy and I can take a look at the odd ball tools tonight.

Ah…i don’t do inches… :pensive:
I’ll add the next one asap.

Didn’t really find a list as i wanted, but searched around and the chip load was pretty consistent with how the rest of our data base looked like.

I’ll try to continue tomorrow.

Oh, and i emptied Henry. He’s doing sth again, but the small nose vanished.

4 Likes

Update:
I updated the database (see below), didn’t delete any tools that we don’t actually have, but added a comment “not available”. The two V-shaped tools aren’t in it, need to learn more about that before I dare…

Had a 20min test with the new T7 (2mm end mill 1FL) and I think I got the F&S right. Can maybe go up a bit once we tried a bit around. Worked extremely well though, razor sharp edges! (I’ll post a picture shortly)

Here’s the data base:
Hardwood - 220511.vtdb (116 KB)

2 Likes

That’s a 2p coin for reference. I didn’t expect those super thin threads to hold.

1 Like

Nice! Looks like very clean cuts! Helps to get some new tooling!

looking great man! Thanks for doing all this! That reminds me, I have a few updates:

• There is now a cheat sheet! Don’t know where to put it, but we should also attach that red whiteboard marker so we don’t lose it. Would love to have your thoughts in case anything needs to change
  • We updated the tool db on the tool page yesterday… but maybe Clem you want to update it again based on your changes?
  • Yesterday I realized that the cailbration was a bit off on the machine (as in 200mm in VCarve != 200mm on the machine) Andy and me monkeyed around with it, and now that should be fine. We also changed the soft-limits slightly… and now the soft-limit on the horizontal bar is almost exactly aligned w/ the suport. PS - Julia and me moved the support one row down to fully utilize the bed.

Todo - to move the vertical support at some point so that we can actually use all the space avaialbee. But whomever does it needs to make absolutely sure that the square is maintained… it takes a lot of finesse.

Anyway, good job all!

I didn’t know you were on it yesterday, but I don’t think I messed anything up.
I only updated T13 to what it actually is and added what is now T7.

Nice Cheat Sheet, I’ll bring some blu tec next time to give it a place. (I won’t be around for a while though).

to be clear, we just took the awesome stuff you did and put it on the tool page. That’s it :slight_smile:

1 Like