CNC Sign project for festival

Hey guys,
I think this sort of thing is allowed but apologies if not. I’ve been a member for a good few months but haven’t put myself down for CNC machine inductions to this point so I don’t currently have the introduction necessary to use the kit.
I’m hoping to make a CNC cut sign for a friend’s music festival in a month’s time. Its a grassroots festival for a small group 100 or so people… I’m self funding doing some bits to add and was wondering if anyone here would be willing to help me out in using the large router to achieve the sign?
I’m happy to pay for the time and help, would need a little guidance and then obviously someone to operate the machine for the actual cutting. I’m reasonably handy with CAD etc so can do the legwork to get that side sorted.
Is there anyone out there who might be willing to help me in the next few weeks? Design and material hasn’t been finalised yet as I wanted to see if it would be possible first.
Any questions do ask…
Thanks in advance,
Rich

1 Like

Ha! I’m just about to start on doing some tests on some sign making using the big CNC. What I have in mind is using a v bit with masking tape and then filling in with Milliput (epoxy putty) so it is flush and flat to the surface. I also want to test using gel stain too. This video will give some idea:

I’ll be using a piece of 18mm ply for that. I’m planning on doing that on Tuesday (booked CNC from 1pm). If that’s of any interest and you are around then, you are very welcome to come along. I can’t give you an induction on the CNC, but I could familiarise you with it, and you’ll get an idea of doing something like that. Meanwhile put yourself down for induction on the CNC. If you aren’t able to get an induction in time or need someone to help you, then that can be arranged too.

And yes, it is allowed to shout out for some assistance with something you want to do. The space works by us sharing skills, learning from each other and collaborating together.

2 Likes

Hey Dan, thanks so much for the reply. What time are you thinking you’ll be around until on Tuesday? I work a standard 9-6 job so getting time off during the day can be tricky but I’ll have a think see if I can make it work in some way. That masking technique looks really interesting, are the masking products easy enough to acquire in large sheet? Keen to see your project and get a feel for the kit.

No problem- I’ve shifted the big CNC booking to the evening. Come after work and we’ll work on that together.

We have wide tape, use several rows to cover the area neatly.