CNC milling machine offered

Sorry guys, just catching up with the thread. didn’t realise this was back as a project !

When we looked previously, I did get it moving but it was unreliable and kept erroring out.

The advice we received was to scrap the existing board and replace with a more standard board as above.
The machine itself is superb but the electronics are poor.

There were still a couple of bits outstanding on the list.
One of the limit switches (think it was X axis) seemed to be locked on, the key switch / Em switch were loose and, while we were working on it the wiring to the spindle was disconnected in the junction box on the carriage.
Happy to help with my limited experience of this machine / CNC’s but it will mostly be via here or email.

Courty

Things that people have done - with a linuxcnc platform

hack on

1 Like

Working with Probing

1 Like

and of course

1 Like

What Windows version are you using? Perhaps try XP?

That’s right folks!!!

Still some fettling to do, but it is alive!

13 Likes

Amazing! It must be very satisfying to have got it this far.

You must have been at it most of the day and then some by the look of it.

1 Like

Wow Andy

Nice work!

1 Like

Ngiyabonga umfowethu :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Incredible!

Well done Andy! Thanks for all you hard work and hours/ days of dedication to getting this working. :+1:

1 Like

Getting fancy with this thing!!

6 Likes

Calibrating the axes…

4 Likes

This is getting beautifully close to ready

Anyone prepared to run some manual mill inductions (as a useful precursor to CNC)?

Yupp - just a couple tiny things left to do, but the machine is 95% ready!

Manual mill inductions would be good - to understand the basics of milling and materials / speed / bits etc…

We also need to have people understand 3D modelling (CAD) and CAM before using the CNC. @deanforbes and I both think the CNC induction should be around the machine/software itself and not cover CAD/CAM, you should bring your own g-code ready to test.

Hope that makes sense… maybe we can have separate sessions/training on CAD/CAM if someone wants to take the lead on this, or just let people YouTube it…

2 Likes

Makes sense

For initial induction asking members to have something CAD’d will show a commitment. Would there be parameters for this? Size, materials, router bit etc? To keep things moving

EDIT: Fusion 360 supports CAM. @Jonathan ran some excellent sessions on Fusion a while back…but he has a lot on his plate

We do have quite a few members with CAD experience, so we can put out the call

1 Like

Cool, yes the machine movement area is 200mm x 175mm x 90mm and we only have certain bits right now. Although it can do aluminium, we want to stick to wood / plastics first out. So I will come up with some guidelines…

I will write up a tools page for the machine and try to lay out some stuff there…

2 Likes

I dropped in today to have a look and must say Andy has done a great job, attention to detail, neat work, open to suggestions (me chirping from the side lines)

There is still some work and documentation to be done but the base is there, I witnessed a test cut and am pleased :slight_smile: with what we have

1 Like

If there’s enough demand I can probably run some CAD/CAM sessions based around fusion. I already cover the basics of the CAD stuff for the 3D printer inductions.

6 Likes

@recursion that would be fantastic