Clearing out parents’ house - random tools advice

Hey all, helping my parents clear out their home of the last 30 years and have some random tools that can’t be taken with them. Looking for advice on whether these are worth anything, if so how much.

Not against donating to the space but they’re all the way up in Northumberland (and suspect they’re too hobbyist anyway)…

Might follow up with more as we discover them.

Some old vices - dad seems convinced they’re worth something

@woodtechs

Already know we undersold the bandsaw, put it up for £60 and 10 people wanted it within the hour :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done a few long distance journeys for Makerspace and have a good idea of cost, time, and effort involved. Northumberland is quite a long way, it’s basically Scotland. Unfortunately, just the cost of fuel there and back would likely outweigh the value of these machines, add on top the cost of hiring a vehicle of suitable size for at least two days, and someone would have to volunteer their days to it. You mentioned you’ve already sold the bandsaw. We always like free stuff but I don’t think Makerspace needs the other machines in particular (I could be wrong, I can’t speak on behalf of @woodtechs, I know metal area doesn’t need them) so if anyone outside of Makerspace did want them you’d want payment judging by your wording.

We always appreciate it when people think of us for donations but sadly this time this journey is only really worth it for someone who is already driving there by coincidence. Thank you @Janoche :pray:

2 Likes

A better option would be to offer it to the Hackspace Foundation group and see if a space nearer to them would benefit.

South London Makerspace, while not perfect, is far better funded than many of its sisters around the country.

1 Like

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - thanks @unknowndomain!

Those vices are definitely worth something! They are high quality and go for £50 or £60 on eBay. We have a full complement but they would be well received by another workshop.