Clean the Laser Cutter After Use

Seriously? This is still happening?
The previous time I used it whatever lazy, inconsiderate person who used it before me didn’t even bother removing the leftover wood when they finished their cutting.
Now again it’s ;eft with at least your material removed but the bed is not cleaned so no doubt you never bothered with any of the other cleaning procedures.

This is not difficult people.

It feels like this situation has been getting worse, wondering if we should institute some kind of recurring training rather than one time training?

i.e. you must be reinducted once a year, and can choose a full induction or a shorter induction which doesn’t cover how to use the software just basic safety and cleaning.

Disappointing, sounds like laziness/failing to build in clearing up time into session

Having a log of who used the cutter would help, at least we could have a word with the previous user

1 Like

Does the job control where you put the keyfob record this?

It isn’t working and needs a bit of rejuvination of enthusiasm.

1 Like

I know it’s not controlling the cutter, but is it not logging at the moment? Some members put their fobs in as a matter of habit

I get the impression it’s just laziness or not caring since it happens too often (80%+ for me). You can’t forget that something needs to be cleaned when you are finished with it since that’s pretty much the rule for everything here.
Oh and so that no-one comes down to use the lasercutter in the next few hours only to be dissapointed - I’m going to be on it for probably the next 4 hours (around 6pm) barring any JobControl hiccups.

Heck knows if its actually officially used, but there is a booking thing here:

https://discourse.southlondonmakerspace.org/c/booking/lasercutter/l/calendar?end=2018-09-02&start=2018-07-29

Since it says access denied and no-one has been told about it I doubt it is used :slight_smile:

Interesting… I’m the only one who’s used it so far…so we’ll need to look at permission levels of it won’t let you access

EDIT: just checking you tried the ‘new topic’ button @david

I clicked on the link peter put in
if i go to the booking section i can only see 3d printer and lathe

Ah, looks like it’s set for only admins to edit at the moment

I’m pretty sure we agreed to bring this in @lasertechs?

Possibly there hasn’t been a need. I am doing a stupid amount of cutting and engraving with no time for a re-visit hence the hogging of the machine.

FYI laser booking page from the link above

I’d give a try to making a gentle reminder in a form of sign in the area saying something like check the lasercutter if needs cleaning and clean it if it does. pointing out the bed, lens and mirror. we’ve got all we need for it. Jonathan brought a brush and a dustpan specificaly for the lasercutter and the lens liquid and cotton buds are present as well.

my bad, its admin only @lasertechs can decide if this is something that they want enabled.

1 Like

I don’t ever cover a usage log in my inductions. I don’t believe anyone does. This is unfortunatey one of those things that continues to happen because people are a-in a rush or b-don’t care about cleanliness. I cover cleaning and maintenance in every induction and hope all other lasertechs do to. I don’t believe reinducting people is going to mean they clean the laser cutter more but maybe some good signage will help.

Diffusion of responsibility is a fact of human nature, unfortunately – specifically, ‘social loafing’.

I doubt anyone inducted on the laser cutter is unaware that it needs constant cleaning, or that they should clean it after they use it. Some people just listen to the little voice in the back of their head that says “I can leave the mess, just this once. The next person to use it will clean up after themselves, and that will catch my mess too.” We all have the voice to some extent, but some people are lazy enough to listen.

Reminder signage and/or little visual guides of how to properly clean the machine would probably help a bit, and perhaps some social norm trickery (i.e. “re-use your towel to save water and the environment!” vs “90% of our guests at this hotel re-use their towels.”)

Ultimately though I think for cleanliness and maintenance issues like this, if there’s already a method that allows the previous messy user to be identified – i.e. the fob log – then we already have the best tool. Direct consequence is the most effective method for long term compliance.

1 Like

when does the honeycomb need changing as its gross etc.

It needs pressure washing, it only needs to be replaced when it’s damaged and not flat.