Chopstick holder using long miter joints

Wanted to make tall thin box with miter joins on the side. Could have used table saw with perilously small pieces of wood, or make a miter shooting board (I chose the later)

Here is the result:

Walnut sides and a heavy block of oak at the base for stability. It holds 10 individual chopsticks

For the shooting board:
@joeatkin2 Helped me cut the ply wood at 45 degrees and to put a groove for the plane to ride in (thank you Joe!).
I hand shaved some scrap pieces of ash to exactly 45 degrees for the stoppers. Some thin plywood acts as ‘packing’ to lift the work piece above the dead space of the plane.
Initially I found the board got perfect 45 degrees but was not completely square which lead to long miters drifting slightly. This was corrected with a little bit of planing the edge of the stop block until it presented the piece square to the blade.

It’s going to be useful for small boxes !

11 Likes

Love to see beautiful things being made in our workshop

2 Likes

Stunning. Really lovely little piece there.

I now have 2 things for which to pick your brains on…marquetry and mitring (mitre-ing?..miting?..)

1 Like

miterswell :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks fantastic! I’ve been meaning to make one of these but haven’t had the time since Christmas. It looks like it’s come out really well!

1 Like

I think we need another hand tools meetup soon!

Is that an Ashley iles plane? Looks lovely!

This is a Qiangshegn low angle block plane with adjustable mouth.
I got it when it was on offer over Christmas for around £40. It’s a great little plane.

https://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+hand-tools-hand-planes-block-planes-qiangsheng-luban-standard-angle-block-plane-rutlands+dk1178

Cool, that was a good price. Can’t beat a nice plane