Chop saw burning haze cutting birch log slice

I was cutting down this log slice on the chop saw, for use on lathe , and it emitted a burning smell and haze.

@CriticalTolerance and I both had a go, going fast and slow. Same effect.

There’s no burn marks on the wood. It’s silver birch, cut down years ago and kept dry.

Birch in not a tough wood…is it too thick and long?

Possibly because this amounts to one massive ripcut as you are cutting straight into the endgrain? I don’t know for sure but I would have though mitre saw blades are set up for cross cutting as this is 99% of what they do.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought. It’s their bread and butter.

The haze/smell happened on both cuts…I just stopped the second one midway.

Both of your cuts were ripcuts . A crosscut is what chainsaws do - horizontal across a tree when it is standing upright.

1 Like

You’re right.

Rip cut blades tend to have fewer, bigger teeth to remove more material.

I guess should have gone faster…think the sawdust must have been charring…noticed black specs of sawdust behind chop saw.

Or use a jigsaw.

Could also been because you don’t have a proper flat surface the log can move slightly rubbing on the side of the blade BE CAREFUL if this is the case DO NOT CARRY ON! There is good risk of kickback!

1 Like

Also may be worth checking the blade for damaged teeth or sticky residues on the sides

1 Like

From what I can see that doesn’t look like a safe cut please stop and use the bandsaw

blade sharpener is on the list i will finalise it this weekend I promise!

Rest assured it was clamped in safely and checked by ed…I moved everything for the photo

1 Like

No residue was on the blade. Didn’t check for broken teeth

the blade is blunt it will be sorted either by sharpening or replacement

2 Likes

Is blunt already? How is it possible?

1 Like

I’d have thought an axe would be ideal for cutting that in that orientation.

we got it in February that is 7 months of use. I am surprised it has lasted this long.

if you have ever cut laminate floors on a chopsaw you will know the blade is shot after 1 job.

I change my blades probably every 3 months and my saw gets nowhere near the use the makita does as i am almost exclusively using it on softwood

Gosh… 7 months? Feels like yesterday! Ok fair enough then… hahaha

The blade almost multi meteral , it’s not going to last well